111th Space Operations Squadron
|111th Space Operations Squadron|
111th Space Operations Squadron emblem
|Active||2003 – present|
|Branch||Air National Guard|
|Part of||Air Force Space Command|
|Garrison/HQ||Sky Harbor International Airport, Arizona|
|Motto(s)||EYES OF THE EAGLE|
|Lt Col Patty Tuttle|
The United States Air Force's 111th Space Operations Squadron (111 SOPS) is an Air National Guard space communications unit located at Sky Harbor International Airport, Arizona. 111 SOPS is the military's first unit to operate free-floating balloons in the near space environment.
- 111th Space Operations Squadron (2003 – present)
- Det 2, Arizona Air National Guard (???)
- Combat SkySat balloons (2003 – present)
- Airman Magazine: Guard’s mission expands into space"
- Pentagon Brief: Combat Balloon to Improve Communications
- Arizona Department of Emergency and Military Affairs Annual Report 2006-07
- Rogers, B. (2006). United States Air Force Unit Designations Since 1978. ISBN 1-85780-197-0
- Arizona ANG: Headquarters & Units Archived 22 March 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- World Airpower Journal. (1992). US Air Force Air Power Directory. Aerospace Publishing: London, UK. ISBN 1-880588-01-3
- SpaceData.net: Military testing balloons as communications option