From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1139.
|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1100s 1110s 1120s – 1130s – 1140s 1150s 1160s|
|Years:||1136 1137 1138 – 1139 – 1140 1141 1142|
|1139 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1139 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||1892|
|English Regnal year||4 Ste. 1 – 5 Ste. 1|
|Chinese calendar||戊午年 (Earth Horse)
3835 or 3775
— to —
己未年 (Earth Goat)
3836 or 3776
|- Vikram Samvat||1195–1196|
|- Shaka Samvat||1061–1062|
|- Kali Yuga||4240–4241|
|Japanese calendar||Hōen 5
|Minguo calendar||773 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1450/1451 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1681–1682|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1139.|
- July 8 or August 21 – Song dynasty general Yue Fei defeats an army led by Jin dynasty general Wanyan Wuzhu at the Battle of Yancheng during the Jin–Song Wars.
- January 25 – Godfrey II, Count of Louvain becomes Duke of Brabant.
- April 8 – Roger II of Sicily is excommunicated by Pope Innocent II.
- April 9 – The Treaty of Durham is signed between King Stephen of England and David I of Scotland.
- July 22 – Pope Innocent II, invading the Kingdom of Sicily is ambushed at Galluccio and taken prisoner.
- July 25
- By the Treaty of Mignano, Pope Innocent II proclaims Roger II of Sicily as King of Sicily, Duke of Apulia and Prince of Capua.
- Battle of Ourique: The independence of Portugal from the Kingdom of León declared after the Almoravids, led by Ali ibn Yusuf, are defeated by Prince Afonso Henriques. He then becomes Afonso I, King of Portugal, after calling the first assembly of the estates-general of Portugal at Lamego, where he is given the Crown from the Bishop of Bragança, to confirm the independence.
- April – Second Council of the Lateran: The Anacletus schism is settled, and priestly celibacy is made mandatory in the Catholic Church.
- January 25 – Godfrey I, Count of Louvain and Duke of Lower Lorraine (as Godfrey VI)
- February 18 – Prince Yaropolk II of Kiev (b. 1082)
- October 20 – Henry X, Duke of Bavaria
- December – Roger of Salisbury, English bishop