113th Illinois Infantry Regiment
|113th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry|
|Active||1 October 1862 to 20 June 1865|
|Colonel George Blaikie Hoge|
The regiment was attached to 1st Brigade, District of Memphis, Tennessee, Right Wing, XIII Corps, Department of the Tennessee, November 1862. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, District of Memphis, XIII Corps, to December 1862. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, Sherman's Yazoo Expedition to January 1863. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, XV Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to August 1863. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, XVI Corps, to November 1863. Post of Corinth, Mississippi, 2nd Division, XVI Corps, to January 1864. 2nd Brigade, District of Memphis, Tennessee, XVI Corps, to June 1864. 2nd Brigade, Sturgis' Expedition, June 1864. 1st Brigade, Post of Memphis, District of West Tennessee, to February 1865. Unattached, Post of Memphis, District of West Tennessee, to June 1865.
The 113th Illinois Infantry mustered out of service on 20 June 1865.
The regiment lost a total of 303 men during service; 1 officer and 25 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, 4 officers and 273 enlisted men died of disease.
|Date||Battle or Event|
|6 November 1862||Ordered to Memphis, Tenn.|
|26 November–12 December 1862||Grant's Central Mississippi Campaign. "Tallahatchie March"|
|20 December 1862–2 January 1863||Sherman's Yazoo Expedition|
|26–28 December 1862||Chickasaw Bayou|
|29 December 1862||Chickasaw Bluff|
|3–10 January 1863||Expedition to Arkansas Post, Ark|
|10–11 January 1863||Assault and capture of Fort Hindman, Arkansas Post (Companies C, D, F, I, and K detached to guard prisoners sent north after Arkansas Post, and retained in Illinois on guard duty until October 1864, when they rejoined the regiment at Memphis, Tenn.)|
|17–22 January 1863||Moved to Young's Point, La. and duty there until March.|
|14–27 March 1863||Expedition to Rolling Fork, Miss., via Muddy, Steele's and Black Bayous and Deer Creek|
|22 March 1863||Near Deer Creek|
|19 April–2 May 1863||Demonstration on Haines' and Drumgould's Bluffs|
|2–14 May 1863||Movement to Jackson, Miss., via Grand Gulf|
|14 May 1863||Jackson|
|16 May 1863||Champion Hill|
|18 May–4 July 1863||Siege of Vicksburg, Miss.|
|19th and 22 May 1863||Assaults on Vicksburg|
|4 July 1863||Surrender of Vicksburg|
|4–10 July 1863||Advance on Jackson, Miss.|
|10–17 July 1863||Siege of Jackson|
|17 July 1863–January 1864||Ordered to Memphis, Tenn.; then to Corinth, Miss., and post duty there|
|January 1864–June 1865||At Memphis, Tenn.|
|1–13 June 1865||Sturgis' Expedition into Mississippi|
|10 June 1865||Near Colliersville, Tenn.|
|10 June 1865||Brice's (or Tishamingo) Creek, near Guntown, Miss.|
|11 June 1865||Ripley|
|21 August 1865||Repulse of Forrest's attack on Memphis|
|10 October 1865||Eastport|
- Colonel George Blaikie Hoge, commander of the company
- Sergeant James Henry, Company B - Medal of Honor recipient for action at Vicksburg, 22 May 1863
- Sergeant John S. Darrough, Company F - Medal of Honor recipient for action at Eastport, Mississippi, 10 October 1864
- Corporal Elisha Johns, Company B - Medal of Honor recipient for action at Vicksburg, 22 May 1863
- Private William W. Burritt, Company G - Medal of Honor recipient for action at Vicksburg, 27 April 1863
- Private Newton T. Gould, Company G - Medal of Honor recipient for action at Vicksburg, 22 May 1863
- Private Jacob C. Miller, Company G - Medal of Honor recipient for action at Vicksburg, 22 May 1863
- Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion (Des Moines, IA: Dyer Pub. Co.), 1908.
- Kellogg, John Jackson. War Experiences and the Story of the Vicksburg Campaign from "Milliken's Bend" to July 4, 1863; Being an Accurate and Graphic Account of Campaign Events Taken from the Diary of Capt. J.J. Kellogg, of Co. B 113th Illinois Volunteer Infantry (Washington, IA: Evening Journal), 1913.
- McCarty, Terry M. and Margaret A.,The Chatfield Story: Civil War Letters and Diaries of Private Edward L. Chatfield of the 113th Illinois Volunteers (North Charleston, SC: BookSurge and CreateSpace Publications), 2009, 2010. ISBN 1-4196-9722-6; ISBN 978-1-4196-9722-7
- Woolworth, Solomon. Experiences in the Civil War (Newark, NJ: s.n.), 1903.
- This article contains text from a text now in the public domain: Dyer, Frederick H. (1908). A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. Des Moines, IA: Dyer Publishing Co.