1140s in England
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 1140 in England)
|1120s | 1130s | 1140s | 1150s | 1160s|
Events from the 1140s in England.
- 2 February – The Anarchy: At the First Battle of Lincoln, Robert, 1st Earl of Gloucester and Empress Matilda wrest control of the throne from King Stephen.
- 8 April – The Anarchy: Stephen captured and Matilda proclaimed "Lady of the English".
- 24 June – The Anarchy: Matilda is forced to flee Westminster during a royal banquet, and flees to Oxford.
- July – The Anarchy: Matilda I of Boulogne, wife of Stephen, recaptures London.
- 14 September – The Anarchy: Rout of Winchester: Robert of Gloucester captured by forces loyal to Stephen during fighting at Winchester.
- 1 November – The Anarchy: Stephen and Robert exchanged as prisoners ending the reign of Matilda.
- Matilda grants the church of Oakley, Buckinghamshire, with its chapels of Brill, Boarstall and Addingrove, to the monks of the Priory of St Frideswide, Oxford.
- Matilda's son Henry comes to England for the first time.
- 26 September – The Anarchy: Stephen captures Oxford, and besieges Matilda inside the castle.
- December – The Anarchy: Matilda escapes from Oxford Castle across the snow in a white cape for camouflage, according to Henry of Huntingdon.
- 11 February – Robert of Chester completes the translation of Book of the Composition of Alchemy from Arabic to Latin. It is the first book in Europe to describe alchemy.
- 22 March – A young apprentice, William of Norwich, is murdered, a crime attributed to the Jews by the Norwich mob, the first known medieval accusation of blood libel against Jews.
- 28 November–24 December – the Siege of Edessa by Muslims led by Imad ad-Din Zengi eliminates the Crusader principality of Outremer, the news causing the pope to preach a new Crusade.
- Matilda's husband Geoffrey V of Anjou, completes the conquest of Normandy.
- Palmer, Alan; Palmer, Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 63–65. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.
- King, Edmund. The Anarchy of King Stephen's Reign. p. 5. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. pp. 122–123. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.
- Holmyard, Eric John. Alchemy. p. 106. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- "Woburn Abbey website". Retrieved 2007-12-18.