From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1176.
Year 1176 (MCLXXVI) was a leap year starting on Thursday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar.
- January – The Assize of Northampton is enacted in England.
- May 22 – The Hashshashin attempt to murder Saladin near Aleppo.
- May 29 – Battle of Legnano: Frederick I, Holy Roman Emperor, is defeated by the Lombard League, leading to the pactum Anagninum (the Agreement of Anagni).
- September 17 – Battle of Myriokephalon: The Seljuq Turks defeat the Byzantine Emperor Manuel I Komnenos.
- Al-Adil I, the Muslim ruler of Egypt, suppresses a revolt by the Christian Copts in the city of Qift, hanging nearly 3,000 of them on the trees around the city.
- Raynald of Châtillon is ransomed from prison in Aleppo.
- Construction begins on a stone-built London Bridge.
- The first recorded Welsh Eisteddfod is held by Rhys ap Gruffydd, at Cardigan.
- Unkei completes his Dainichi Nyorai (Enjō-ji) statue, now a National Treasure of Japan.
- Sens Cathedral installs an horologe, presumed to be an early form of clock.
- The Carthusians are approved as a religious order.