Numerologists believe that events linked to the time 11:11 appear more often than can be explained by chance or coincidence. This belief is related to the concept of synchronicity. Some authors claim that seeing 11:11 on a clock is an auspicious sign. Others claim that 11:11 signals a spirit presence. The belief that the time 11:11 has mystical powers has been adopted by believers in New Age philosophies. However, skeptics say that Uri Geller's examples of 11:11 phenomena in world events are examples of post-hoc reasoning and confirmation bias.
Significance in dates
For various reasons, people ascribe different kinds of significance to dates and numbers; for example, the 2011 date, "11-11-11", showed an increase in the number of marriages taking place in different areas throughout the world, including the U.S. and across the Asian continent. Babies born on this date also received special media attention.
The Armistice that ended the fighting in western Europe of the First World War took effect at 11 a.m. Paris time on November 11, 1918, "the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month".
- Geller, Uri. "The 11:11 phenomenon." 2006. Web. 22 Dec. 2014.
- Solara (1992). 11:11: Inside the Doorway. Charlottesville, VA: Star-Borne Unlimited. ISBN 1-878246-05-4.
- George Barnard (2004). The Search for 11:11: A Journey into the Spirit World. Australia: 11:11 Publishers. ISBN 0-9577889-6-7.
- "Do you see 11:11?". 11:11 Spirit Guardians. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- "Uri Geller". Skeptic Report. Archived from the original on 2009-10-08. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
On his web site, Uri Geller has a list of things he connects with the number 11. He believes this number to be all-important. E.g. he attaches meaning to the fact that some people have noticed their clocks sometimes show the numbers "11:11".
- "The law of truly large numbers". Archived from the original on 2 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-21.
The law of truly large numbers says that with a large enough sample many odd coincidences are likely to happen.
- Basu, Moni. "11/11/11: 'Ones' in a lifetime". CNN. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- Savadove, Bill. "11/11/11 spells marriage and magic". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- Murphy, William. "11/11/11 baby born at 11:11 a.m. on LI". Newsday. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
|This paranormal-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|