11th Signal Brigade and Headquarters West Midlands
|11th Signal Brigade and Headquarters West Midlands|
|Active||1967 - Present|
|Part of||Force Troops Command|
|Garrison/HQ||Venning Barracks, Donnington, Shropshire, England.|
The 11th Signal Brigade and Headquarters West Midlands is a communications formation of the British Army's Royal Corps of Signals. Its headquarters is located at Venning Barracks, in Donnington in Shropshire.
The brigade was formed as 11th Signal Group in Liverpool in 1967: it became 11th Signal Brigade in 1982, was redsignated 11th (ARRC) Signal Brigade in 1992 and then reverted to 11th Signal Brigade in 1997. In November 2014, 11 Signal Brigade amalgamated with 143 (West Midlands) Brigade to create a new formation, based at Venning Barracks in Donnington, called 11th Signal Brigade and Headquarters West Midlands, with an additional role as a regional brigade for army regular and reserve units in the West Midlands counties. A formation parade took place at Donnington on 15 November 2014.
The brigade's role is to provide administrative support for around 8,000 Army personnel who are based in the region, as well as forming a vital link between the Army and its local communities. The Brigade has five Regular Army signal regiments and five Army Reserve Signal regiments. Under Army 2020, it is the Regional Point of Command for the West Midlands.In addition, it has command responsibilities for the Army Cadet Forces and some of the Army Reserve units in the region.
The brigade consists of the following units:
- 11th Signal Brigade and Headquarters West Midlands in Donnington
- 7 Signal Group in Stafford
- 2 Signal Group in Donnington
- 10th Signal Regiment in Corsham
- 15th Signal Regiment (Information Systems) in Blandford
- 32nd Signal Regiment in Glasgow (Army Reserve - paired with 2nd Signal Regiment in 7 Signal Group)
- 37th Signal Regiment in Redditch (Army Reserve - paired with 1st and 16th Signal Regiments in 7 Signal Group)
- 39th Signal Regiment in Bristol (Army Reserve - paired with 21st Signal Regiment in 7 Signal Group)
- 71st (City of London) Yeomanry Signal Regiment in Bexleyheath (Army Reserve - paired with 3rd Signal Regiment in 7 Signal Group)
- Lord, Cliff (2014). "The Royal Corps of Signals: Unit Histories of the Corps (1920-2001), and Its Antecedents". Helion & Co. p. 131. ISBN 978-1874622925.
- "Flag is flying for new Army brigade". Shropshire Star. 17 November 2014. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "HQ 11th Signal and West Midlands Brigade". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Flag raising at Telford barracks marks new Army brigade". BBC. 16 November 2014. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Army 2020 Report" (PDF).