1200s in England
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 1205 in England)
|1200s in England:|
|1180s | 1190s | 1200s | 1210s | 1220s|
Events from the 1200s in England.
Monarch - John
- 22 May - Treaty of Le Goulet signed by King John and Philip II of France, confirming John as ruler of parts of France, in return for some exchange of territory.
- August - King John marries Isabella of Angoulême.
- October - John receives the homage of William I of Scotland at Lincoln.
- Layamon writes Brut, a history of early Britain, and one of the first works in Middle English.
- 30 April - King John fails to attend the court of Philip II to answer complaints of the barons of Poitou. Philip confiscates English lands in France, granting many of them to Arthur of Brittany.
- July - King John rescues his mother, Eleanor of Aquitaine, from near capture by the rebellious forces of Arthur I, Duke of Brittany.
- 1 August - Battle of Mirabeau: John captures Arthur and Eleanor of Brittany.
- Harsh winter, in which the Thames freezes over, results in widespread famine.
- March - Barons refuse to support John's war in France.
- 13 July - Monks at Canterbury elect their superior as the new Archbishop of Canterbury.
- 11 December - King John forces the election of John de Gray, Bishop of Norwich as Archbishop of Canterbury, contrary to the monks' wishes.
- John begins construction of a royal navy.
- 30 March - Pope Innocent III quashes King John's nomination of John de Gray as Archbishop of Canterbury.
- 7 June - England invades France to defend Aquitaine; army campaigns in Poitou.
- 26 October - Two-year truce with France agreed.
- December - Monks at Canterbury sent into exile for electing Stephen Langton as Archbishop of Canterbury against King John's wishes.
- 21 October - Robert de Beaumont, 4th Earl of Leicester, nobleman (year of birth unknown)
- 22 April - Philip of Poitou, Prince-Bishop of Durham (year of birth unknown)
- Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. Weidenfeld & Nicolson. pp. 131–133. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.
- Palmer, Alan; Palmer, Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 75–77. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.
- "Medieval Sourcebook: King John of England and the Jews". Retrieved 2007-12-11.
- Warren, W. L. (1961). King John. University of California Press. p. 77-78.
- "Beaulieu Abbey website". Archived from the original on 28 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-11.
- Penguin Pocket On This Day. Penguin Reference Library. 2006. ISBN 0-14-102715-0.