This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Hayes, England, United Kingdom|
|Managing director||Richard Winslow|
|Parent||Host Europe Group|
123-reg is headquartered in England and is a domain registrar and web hosting company. The company claims to be the UK's largest accredited domain registrar that provides Internet services to small- and medium-sized business. Up until 2017, 123-reg was part of Host Europe Group (HEG), which at the time, was Europe's largest privately owned hosting company. In April 2017, GoDaddy Inc (GDDY.N), a U.S.-based website domain name provider, completed the acquisition of Host Europe Group (HEG) for 1.69 billion euros ($1.82 billion)
123-reg was founded in 2000 by Jonathan Brealey and Tim Brealey who prior to this also set up Webfusion Internet Solutions Ltd in 1997. According to the company's parent, 123-reg became the UK's largest domain registrar in 2004 and passed the 3 million domain names under management in 2012.
- In 2000, 123 Reg began trading.
- In 2004, 123 Reg became the largest domain registrar in the U.K
- In 2009, Webfusion Ltd was formed to make part of Host Europe Group.
- In 2009, 123 Reg became the first U.K web host to offer Microsoft Windows 2008 web hosting
- In 2009, 123 Reg/Webfusion opened its new £2.5 million data centre in Leeds, U.K
- In 2009, 123 Reg became the first U.K domain registrar to pass the 2m domain names under management
- In 2010, 123 Reg/Webfusion was named in Sunday Times Deloitte Buyout Track 100
- In 2012, 123 Reg became the first U.K domain registrar to pass 3 million domain names under management.
VPS Deletion Episode
On 16 April 2016, 123-reg admitted a major deletion of a large number of VPS servers caused by an error during what should have been routine maintenance. The event deleted hundreds of websites with users losing sites and access to data on their VPS service. By 24 April 2016 the situation was still ongoing. During this period 123-reg had a further data breach with customers being able to see the support tickets of other account holders
- "123-Reg Ltd: Company Profile". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- "Registrar List - Nominet". Nominet. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- "HEG: Hosting Europe's SMEs | Megabuyte". www.megabuyte.com. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- "Where To Register Domain Names And Host Your Web Site". King Solutions. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- "Notts Internet Company Acquired By Plc. - Information Technology and Telecoms - UK". www.mondaq.com. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- "Welcome to HEG - Inspiring Next Generation Businesses". HEG. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- "Welcome to HEG - Inspiring Next Generation Businesses". HEG. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- "List of Registrars | Nominet Registrar Resources". registrars.nominet.uk. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- "DomainInformer : Webfusion opens new £2.5m UK data centre". www.domaininformer.com. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- Ltd, Webfusion. "Awards | Find out more About Webfusion UK". www.webfusion.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- reporter, Chris Foxx Technology. "Web host 123-reg deletes sites in clean-up error". BBC News. Retrieved 2016-04-24.
- "Exclusive: 123-reg suffered serious security lapse while deleting 67 servers". Cloud Pro. Retrieved 2016-04-24.