From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1238.
|Centuries:||12th century – 13th century – 14th century|
|Decades:||1200s 1210s 1220s – 1230s – 1240s 1250s 1260s|
|Years:||1235 1236 1237 – 1238 – 1239 1240 1241|
|1238 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1238 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||1991|
|English Regnal year||22 Hen. 3 – 23 Hen. 3|
|Chinese calendar||丁酉年 (Fire Rooster)
3934 or 3874
— to —
戊戌年 (Earth Dog)
3935 or 3875
|- Vikram Samvat||1294–1295|
|- Shaka Samvat||1160–1161|
|- Kali Yuga||4339–4340|
|Japanese calendar||Katei 4 / Ryakunin 1
|Minguo calendar||674 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1780–1781|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1238.|
- March 4 – Mongol invasion of Rus – Battle of the Sit River: The Mongol Hordes of Batu Khan defeat the Rus' under Yuri Vsevolodovich of Vladimir-Suzdal.
- August 21 – Battle of Örlygsstaðir: Sighvatr Sturluson and Sturla Sighvatsson are defeated by Kolbeinn ungi Arnórsson and Gissur Þorvaldsson for control of Iceland.
- September 28 – James I of Catalonia captures the city of Valencia from the Moors, who retreat to Granada.
- The seat of the Patriarch of Aquileia is transferred to Udine.
- Simon de Montfort marries Eleanor, sister of Henry III of England.
- The Livonian Order gives Northern Estonia back to Denmark with the Treaty of Stensby.
- The Mongols seize Moscow, at the time a small town.
- Peterborough Cathedral is consecrated.
- Founder of the Nasrid dynasty, Mohammed I ibn Nasr, begins Alhambra complex on the site of a pre-Islamic fortress.
- Thowadra Monastery is founded in Bhutan.
- May 1 – Magnus Lagabøte, king of Norway (d. 1280)
- November – Henry de Montfort, son of Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester (d. 1265)
- date unknown
- March 4
- March 19 – Henry I the Bearded, Duke of Lower Silesia (b. c. 1165)
- June 9 – Peter des Roches, bishop of Winchester
- date unknown