125th Street (IND Eighth Avenue Line)
|New York City Subway rapid transit station|
West 125th Street & Saint Nicholas Avenue|
New York, NY 10027
|Line||IND Eighth Avenue Line|
A (all times) |
B (weekdays until 11:00 p.m.)
C (all except late nights)
D (all times)
|Transit connections||NYCT Bus: Bx15, M3, M60 SBS, M100, M101|
2 island platforms|
|Opened||September 10, 1932|
|Passengers (2017)||9,335,382 2.8%|
|Rank||32 out of 425|
145th Street (Eighth express): A |
145th Street (Concourse express): D
135th Street (Eighth local): A B C
116th Street (Eighth local): A B C |
59th Street–Columbus Circle (Eighth express): A D
Kingsbridge Road (via Concourse express): D |
168th Street (via 8th): A C
161st Street–Yankee Stadium (via Concourse local): B D
|Next south||59th Street–Columbus Circle: A B C D|
125th Street is an express station on the IND Eighth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway. Located at the intersection of 125th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue in the Harlem neighborhood of Manhattan, it is served by the A and D trains at all times, by the C train at all times except late nights, and by the B train on weekdays.
In 1981, the MTA listed the station among the 69 most deteriorated stations in the subway system. The station was renovated in the 1980s, during which two stairs to each platform at the north end were removed and the platforms' original white floor tiling was replaced. Another renovation later made restored the closed staircases and made station ADA-accessible with the installation of elevators near the middle of the platforms.
On June 27, 2017, a southbound A train derailed just north of the station. This derailment, caused by improperly secured replacement rails, left 34 passengers injured.
|G||Street Level||Exit/ Entrance|
|M||Mezzanine||Fare control, station agents, to exits|
(Elevator on SW corner of 125th Street and Saint Nicholas Avenue)
|Northbound local||← toward Bedford Park Boulevard rush hours, 145th Street other times (135th Street)|
← toward 168th Street ( toward 207th Street late nights) (135th Street)
|Island platform, doors will open on the left, right|
|Northbound express||← toward 207th Street (145th Street)|
← toward Norwood–205th Street (145th Street)
|Southbound express||→ toward Far Rockaway or Lefferts Boulevard (all except nights), or Rockaway Park (PM rush hours) (59th Street–Columbus Circle) →|
→ toward Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue (59th Street–Columbus Circle) →
|Island platform, doors will open on the left, right|
|Southbound local||→ toward Brighton Beach (116th Street) →|
→ toward Euclid Avenue ( toward Far Rockaway late nights) (116th Street) →
The outer track wall tiles have a Prussian green trim line with a black border with small "125" signs in white lettering on a black background beneath it. Both platforms have one line of green i-beam columns that run at regular intervals for their entire lengths except for a small sections at either ends. Every other column has the standard black station name plate in white lettering.
The station has a mezzanine above the tracks at the Southern end and platforms that connect both fare control areas at either ends. There are five staircases to each platform and large-scale photos of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s.
The next express station to the south, 59th Street–Columbus Circle, is 3.35 miles (5.391 km) away with seven local stations in between. This is the longest distance between two express stops in the system.
The full-time fare control area is at the south end of the mezzanine, serving the 125th Street exits, and has a turnstile bank and token booth. It serves the exits at St. Nicholas Avenue and West 125th Street. The other fare control area at the north end, serving the 127th Street exits, is unstaffed, containing full height turnstiles. There is also evidence of closed exit stairs going up to 126th Street and 124th Street, one on each side of both mezzanines. One of the staircases led directly into the basement of a business that existed at street level.
- One stair, NW corner of St. Nicholas Avenue and West 125th Street
- One stair, NE corner of St. Nicholas Avenue and West 125th Street
- One stair and one elevator, SW corner of St. Nicholas Avenue and West 125th Street
- One stair, SE corner of St. Nicholas Avenue and West 125th Street
- One stair, SW corner of St. Nicholas Avenue and West 127th Street
- One stair, SE corner of St. Nicholas Avenue and West 127th Street
- "List of the 28 Stations on the New Eighth Ave Line". The New York Times. September 10, 1932. p. 6.
- "Station Developers' Information". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved June 13, 2017.
- "NYC Subway Wireless – Active Stations". Transit Wireless Wifi. Retrieved May 18, 2016.
- "Facts and Figures: Annual Subway Ridership 2012–2017". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. July 12, 2018. Retrieved July 12, 2018.
- Crowell, Paul (September 10, 1932). "Gay Midnight Crowd Rides First Trains In The New Subway: Throngs at Station an Hour Before Time, Rush Turnstiles When Chains are Dropped" (PDF). The New York Times. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- Gargan, Edward A. (June 11, 1981). "AGENCY LISTS ITS 69 MOST DETERIORATED SUBWAY STATIONS". The New York Times. Retrieved August 13, 2016.
- "Review of the A and C Lines" (PDF). Metropolitan Transportation Authority. December 11, 2015. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- "MTA Neighborhood Maps: Morningside Heights" (PDF). mta.info. Metropolitan Transportation Authority. 2015. Retrieved July 12, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 125th Street (IND Eighth Avenue Line).|
- nycsubway.org – IND 8th Avenue: 125th Street
- Station Reporter — A Lefferts
- Station Reporter — A Rockaway
- Station Reporter — B Train
- Station Reporter — C Train
- Station Reporter — D Train
- The Subway Nut — 125th Street Pictures
- 125th Street entrance at southwest corner from Google Maps Street View
- 127th Street entrance at southwest corner from Google Maps Street View
- Platforms from Google Maps Street View