12:01 PM (1990 film)
|Directed by||Jonathan Heap|
|Produced by||Teresa E. Kounin|
Richard A. Lupoff|
|Music by||Stephen Melillo|
|Edited by||Hubert de la Bouillerie|
12:01 PM is a 1990 short film directed by Jonathan Heap and starring Kurtwood Smith. It aired on cable television in 1990 as part of the Showtime 30-Minute Movie anthology series. It was nominated for an Academy Award.
It is the first film adaptation of the short story "12:01 PM" by Richard A. Lupoff, which was published in the December 1973 edition of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. The major plot device is a time loop or time bounce.
Kurtwood Smith plays Myron Castleman, an everyman stuck in a loop that forces him to constantly relive the same hour of his life over and over, being the only person aware of this. During one loop, he discovers that a scientist named Nathan Rosenbluth has predicted an event that matches his experience. Castleman calls him and explains what is going on, however, Rosenbluth is highly skeptical of his claims. Over the next loops, Myron struggles to get into contact with Rosenbluth again, and in the process becomes frustrated to the point of screaming at his secretary and throwing his suitcase into traffic. Eventually, he does manage to talk to Rosenbluth, who initially dismisses Myron as crazy until Myron describes the transition as the scientist had predicted (including the phrase "Consciousness is an independent variable," which is central to Rosenbluth's theories). The professor sadly informs Castleman that there is nothing that can be done, causing Myron to become hysterical and shoot himself. There is a brief pause until Myron finds himself back at the beginning of the loop, realizing that he is trapped for eternity.
- List of films featuring time loops
- 12:01 (1993 film) A full length TV version of the story, with a lighter tone and "happy ending".
- Awards for 12:01 PM on IMDb
- "1990 (63rd): Short Film (Live Action) – Hillary Ripps, Jonathan Heap". Academy Awards Database. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2014-09-17. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- "Kurtwood Smith Biography". CBS.
- "12:01 PM (1990): Full Cast & Crew". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- Turner, Kathleen (Director) (2005-06-27). Cinema Collection Vol 5 (DVD). UPC 5031932113068.
- ASIN B0009JJXUA, Cinema Collection: 5 DVD (2005-06-27)