From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1316.
|Centuries:||13th century – 14th century – 15th century|
|Decades:||1280s 1290s 1300s – 1310s – 1320s 1330s 1340s|
|Years:||1313 1314 1315 – 1316 – 1317 1318 1319|
|1316 by topic|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1316 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2069|
|English Regnal year||9 Edw. 2 – 10 Edw. 2|
|Chinese calendar||乙卯年 (Wood Rabbit)
4012 or 3952
— to —
丙辰年 (Fire Dragon)
4013 or 3953
|- Vikram Samvat||1372–1373|
|- Shaka Samvat||1237–1238|
|- Kali Yuga||4416–4417|
|Japanese calendar||Shōwa 5
|Minguo calendar||596 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1858–1859|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1316.|
- January 28–March 18 – Revolt of Llywelyn Bren against English rule in Wales.
- February 22 – Battle of Picotin between Ferdinand of Majorca and the forces of Matilda of Hainaut
- July 5 – Battle of Manolada between the Burgundian and Majorcan claimants of the Principality of Achaea.
- August 7 – Pope John XXII succeeds Pope Clement V as the 196th pope.
- August 10 – Second Battle of Athenry ends with over 5,000 dead, and Norman rule retained in Ireland.
- The Great Famine of 1315–17 is at its peak.
- The Pound sterling experiences the greatest year of inflation in its history, at 100.04 percent, losing over half its value.
- The Au peninsula in Switzerland is first mentioned as "Owe" belonging to the commandry of the Knights Hospitaller in Bubikon.
- April or May – Magnus IV, king of Sweden 1319–1364 (d. 1374)
- March 2 – King Robert II of Scotland (d. 1390)
- May 14 – Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1378)
- November 7 – Simeon of Russia (d. 1353)
- November 15 – King John I of France (d. November 20)
- date unknown – Fa Ngum, King of Lan Xang (d. 1393)
- March 2 – Marjorie Bruce, daughter of Robert I of Scotland (b. 1296)
- March 12 – King Stefan Dragutin of Serbia
- June 5 – King Louis X of France (b. 1289)
- July 5 – Infante Ferdinand of Majorca (b. 1278)
- August 2 – Louis of Burgundy, Prince of Achaea (b. 1297)
- August 10 – Felim mac Aedh Ua Conchobair, King of Connacht (in battle)
- November 20 – King John I of France (b. November 15)
- date unknown