From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1372.
|Centuries:||13th century – 14th century – 15th century|
|Decades:||1340s 1350s 1360s – 1370s – 1380s 1390s 1400s|
|Years:||1369 1370 1371 – 1372 – 1373 1374 1375|
|1372 by topic|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1372 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2125|
|English Regnal year||45 Edw. 3 – 46 Edw. 3|
|Chinese calendar||辛亥年 (Metal Pig)
4068 or 4008
— to —
壬子年 (Water Rat)
4069 or 4009
|- Vikram Samvat||1428–1429|
|- Shaka Samvat||1293–1294|
|- Kali Yuga||4472–4473|
|Japanese calendar||Ōan 5
|Minguo calendar||540 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1914–1915|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1372.|
- May – Owain Lawgoch makes a second attempt to take the throne of Wales. Whilst attacking the island of Guernsey, he abandons the invasion in order to fight for France at La Rochelle.
- June 22 – Battle of La Rochelle: The French and the Castilians defeat the English. The French gain control of the English Channel for the first time since 1340.
- Encounter of Sintra: twenty Portuguese knights rout four hundred Castilian infantrymen of the country.
- Peace is declared between the Kingdom of Sicily and the Kingdom of Naples.
- The Kingdom of Chūzan (now in southern Japan) enters tributary relations with Ming Dynasty China.
- Four-year-old Muhammad as-Said succeeds his father, Abu l-Fariz Abdul Aziz I, as Marinid Sultan of Morocco.
- Newaya Maryam succeeds his father, Newaya Krestos, as ruler of Ethiopia.
- The city of Aachen, Germany, begins adding a Roman numeral Anno Domini date to a few of its coins, the first city in the world to do so.
- February 18 – Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani, Islamic scholar (d. 1448)
- March 13 – Louis of Valois, Duke of Orléans, son of king Charles V of France (d. 1407)
- October – John Hastings, 3rd Earl of Pembroke (d. 1389)
- January 11 – Eleanor of Lancaster, English noblewoman (b. 1318)
- March 21 – Rudolf VI, Margrave of Baden
- August 24 – Casimir III, Duke of Pomerania (b. 1348)
- August 31 – Ralph Stafford, 1st Earl of Stafford, English soldier (b. 1301)
- date unknown – Bagrat I of Imereti, King of Georgia