From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1406.
|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1370s 1380s 1390s – 1400s – 1410s 1420s 1430s|
|Years:||1403 1404 1405 – 1406 – 1407 1408 1409|
|1406 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1406 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2159|
|English Regnal year||7 Hen. 4 – 8 Hen. 4|
|Chinese calendar||乙酉年 (Wood Rooster)
4102 or 4042
— to —
丙戌年 (Fire Dog)
4103 or 4043
|- Vikram Samvat||1462–1463|
|- Shaka Samvat||1328–1329|
|- Kali Yuga||4507–4508|
|Japanese calendar||Ōei 13
|Minguo calendar||506 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1948–1949|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1406.|
- April 4 – James I becomes King of Scotland, after having been captured by Henry IV of England.
- October 7 – French troops comprising 1,000 men at arms landed on Jersey and fought a battle against 3,000 defenders.:50-1
- October 13 – Richard Whittington is elected Lord Mayor of London for a second full term. He holds this office simultaneously with that of Mayor of the Calais Staple.
- October 26 – Eric of Pomerania marries Philippa, daughter of Henry IV of England.
- November 30 – Pope Gregory XII succeeds Pope Innocent VII as the 205th pope.
- December 25 – John II becomes King of Castile.
- Construction of the Forbidden City begins in Beijing during the Chinese Ming dynasty.
- Pisa is subjugated by Florence.
- January 1 – Margaret, Countess of Vertus, French countess (d. 1466)
- January 28 – Guy XIV de Laval, French noble (d. 1486)
- July 11 – William, Margrave of Hachberg-Sausenberg, Margrave of Hachberg-Sausenberg (1428-1441) (d. 1482)
- September 26 – Thomas de Ros, 8th Baron de Ros, English soldier and politician (d. 1430)
- December 19 – Martin of Aragon, Aragon infante (d. 1407)
- date unknown
- January 6 – Roger Walden, English bishop
- March 19 – Ibn Khaldun, Arab historian (b. 1332)
- April 4 – King Robert III of Scotland
- May 4 – Coluccio Salutati, Chancellor of Florence (b. 1331)
- July 15 – William, Duke of Austria
- August 28 – John de Sutton V (b. 1380)
- September 16 – Cyprian, Metropolitan of Moscow
- November 1 – Joanna, Duchess of Brabant (b. 1322)
- November 6 – Pope Innocent VII
- December 25 – King Henry III of Castile (b. 1379)
- probable – Tokhtamysh, khan of the Golden Horde