From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1408. For the short story by Stephen King, see 1408 (short story). For the film, see 1408 (film).
|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1370s 1380s 1390s – 1400s – 1410s 1420s 1430s|
|Years:||1405 1406 1407 – 1408 – 1409 1410 1411|
|1408 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1408 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2161|
|English Regnal year||9 Hen. 4 – 10 Hen. 4|
|Chinese calendar||丁亥年 (Fire Pig)
4104 or 4044
— to —
戊子年 (Earth Rat)
4105 or 4045
|- Vikram Samvat||1464–1465|
|- Shaka Samvat||1330–1331|
|- Kali Yuga||4509–4510|
|Japanese calendar||Ōei 15
|Minguo calendar||504 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1950–1951|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1408.|
- February 19 – Battle of Bramham Moor: a royalist army defeats the last remnants of the Percy rebellion.
- September – Henry, Prince of Wales (later Henry V of England) retakes Aberystwyth from Owain Glyndŵr.
- September 16 – Thorstein Olafssøn marries Sigrid Bjørnsdatter in Hvalsey Church, in the last recorded event of the Norse history of Greenland.
- December 13 – The Order of the Dragon is founded under King Sigismund of Hungary.
- The Moldavian town of Iaşi is first mentioned.
- The Yongle Encyclopedia is completed.
- Gotland passes under Danish rule.
- Zheng He delivers 300 virgins from Korea to the Chinese emperor.
- January 25 – Katharina of Hanau, First wife of Thomas II of Rieneck and third wife of William II of Henneberg-Schleusingen (d. 1460)
- February 14 – John FitzAlan, 14th Earl of Arundel (d. 1435)
- March 25 – Agnes of Baden, Countess of Holstein-Rendsburg, German noble (d. 1473)
- April 8 – Jadwiga of Lithuania, Polish princess (d. 1431)
- April 23 – John de Vere, 12th Earl of Oxford, English noble (d. 1462)
- May 22 – Sri Tallapaka Annamacharya the mystic saint composer of the 15th century is the earliest known musician of South India to compose songs called "sankIrtanas" in praise of Lord Venkateswara, the deity of Seven Hills in Tirumala. (d. 1503)
- October 1 – Karl Knutsson, King of Sweden 1448–1457, 1464–1465 and 1467–1470 (possible date; his birth may also have been in 1409; d. 1470)
- date unknown – John FitzAlan, 14th Earl of Arundel (d. 1435)
- February 19 – Thomas Bardolf, 5th Baron Bardolf, English rebel (in battle)
- February 20 – Henry Percy, 1st Earl of Northumberland, English rebel (in battle) (b. 1342)
- April – Miran Shah, son of Timur (b. 1366)
- April 10 – Elizabeth le Despenser, English noblewoman
- May 24 – Taejo of Joseon, ruler of Korea (b. 1335)
- May 31 – Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, Japanese shogun (b. 1358)
- September 22 – John VII Palaiologos, Byzantine Emperor (b. 1370)
- December 4 – Valentina Visconti, wife of Louis of Valois, Duke of Orléans
- date unknown – Coptic Pope Matthew I of Alexandria