Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (August 2019)
|1449 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1449 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2202|
|Balinese saka calendar||1370–1371|
|English Regnal year||27 Hen. 6 – 28 Hen. 6|
|Chinese calendar||戊辰年 (Earth Dragon)|
4145 or 4085
— to —
己巳年 (Earth Snake)
4146 or 4086
|- Vikram Samvat||1505–1506|
|- Shaka Samvat||1370–1371|
|- Kali Yuga||4549–4550|
|Japanese calendar||Bun'an 6 / Hōtoku 1|
|Minguo calendar||463 before ROC|
|Thai solar calendar||1991–1992|
1575 or 1194 or 422
— to —
1576 or 1195 or 423
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1449.|
- January 6 – Constantine XI Palaiologos is crowned Byzantine Emperor at Mistra; he will be the last in a line of rulers, that can be traced to the founding of Rome.
- February – Alexăndrel seizes the throne of Moldavia, with the support of the boyars.
- April 7 – The last Antipope, Felix V, abdicates.
- April 19 – Pope Nicholas V is elected by the Council of Basel.
- April 25 – The Council of Basel dissolves itself.
- May 14 – Second Siege of Sfetigrad (1449): The Albanian garrison surrenders, and the Ottomans seize the fortress.
- May 20 – Battle of Alfarrobeira: King Afonso V of Portugal defeats the forces of Peter, Duke of Coimbra.
- August 13 – First Margrave War: Albrecht III Achilles, Elector of Brandenburg takes Lichtenau Fortress from Nuremberg.
- September 3 – Battle of Tumu Fortress: The Oirat Mongols defeat the Ming Dynasty army, and capture the Zhengtong Emperor of China; the latter is officially deposed, while his brother ascends as the Jingtai Emperor the next year.
- October – Bogdan II of Moldavia enters the country with troops from John Hunyadi, and takes on the throne after Alexăndrel flees.
- October 29 – The French recapture Rouen from the English.
- January 1 – Lorenzo de' Medici, Italian statesman (d. 1492)
- January 17 – Osanna of Mantua, Italian Dominican tertiary (d. 1505)
- February 7 – Adriana of Nassau-Dillenburg, consort of Count Philip I of Hanau-Münzenberg (d. 1477)
- April 27 – Asakura Ujikage, 8th head of the Asakura clan of Japan (d. 1486)
- August 10 – Bona of Savoy, Duchess of Savoy (d. 1503)
- September 20 – Philipp I, Count of Hanau-Münzenberg, German noble (d. 1500)
- October 21 – George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence, brother of Edward IV of England and Richard III of England (d. 1478)
- November 11 – Catherine of Poděbrady, Hungarian Queen (d. 1464)
- November 14 – Sidonie of Poděbrady, Bohemian princess, duchess consort of Saxony (d. 1510)
- December 6 – Dorotea Gonzaga, Italian noble (d. 1467)
- date unknown
- Aldus Manutius, Italian printer
- Archibald Douglas, 5th Earl of Angus (d. 1513)
- Axayacatl, Aztec ruler of Tenochtitlan (d. 1481)
- Domenico Gagini, Italian sculptor (d. 1492)
- Domenico Ghirlandaio, Italian artist (d. 1494)
- Magnus Hundt, German physician and theologian (d. 1519)
- Margaret of Thuringia, Electress consort of Brandenburg (d. 1501)
- January 4 – Cecilia of Brandenburg, Duchess of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel (b. c.1405)
- January 21 – Giovanni Berardi, Archbishop of Taranto (b. 1380)
- February 2 – Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani, Islamic scholar (b. 1372)
- March – Dolce dell'Anguillara, Italian condottiero (b. 1401)
- May – Alexander of Islay, Earl of Ross, Lord of the Isles
- May 20 (at the Battle of Alfarrobeira)
- August 13 – Louis IV, Elector Palatine (b. 1424)
- October 27 – Ulugh Beg, Timurid ruler and astronomer (b. 1394)
- October 31 – Elisabeth of Brandenburg, Duchess of Brzeg-Legnica and Cieszyn, German princess (b. 1403)
- November 19 – Kunigunde of Sternberg, first spouse of the King George of Podebrady (b. 1425)
- December 24 – Walter Bower, Scottish chronicler (b. 1385)
- "Axayácatl, "El de la máscara de agua" (1469-1481)" [Axayácatl,, "He with the Water Mask"]. Arqueologia Mexicana (in Spanish). Retrieved June 6, 2019.