From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1473.
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1440s 1450s 1460s – 1470s – 1480s 1490s 1500s|
|Years:||1470 1471 1472 – 1473 – 1474 1475 1476|
|1473 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1473 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2226|
|English Regnal year||12 Edw. 4 – 13 Edw. 4|
|Chinese calendar||壬辰年 (Water Dragon)
4169 or 4109
— to —
癸巳年 (Water Snake)
4170 or 4110
|- Vikram Samvat||1529–1530|
|- Shaka Samvat||1395–1396|
|- Kali Yuga||4574–4575|
|Japanese calendar||Bunmei 5
|Minguo calendar||439 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||2015–2016|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1473.|
- February 12 – First complete printed edition of Avicenna's The Canon of Medicine (in Latin translation) published in Milan.
- August 11 – Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II defeats the White Sheep Turkmens led by Uzun Hasan at the Battle of Otlukbeli.
- Axayacatl, Aztec ruler of Tenochtitlan, invades the territory of the neighboring Aztec city of Tlatelolco. The ruler of Tlatelolco is killed and replaced by a military governor. Tlatelolco loses its independence.
- Possible discovery of Bacalao (possibly Newfoundland, North America) by Didrik Pining and João Vaz Corte-Real.
- The Almanach cracoviense ad annum 1474 is published.
- The city walls and defensive moat are built in Celje, Slovenia.
- Marsilio Ficino becomes a Catholic priest.
- Recuyell of the Historyes of Troye is the first book to be printed in English by William Caxton
- February 19 – Nicolaus Copernicus, astronomer and mathematician (d. 1543)
- March 17 – King James IV of Scotland (d. 1513)
- August 14 – Margaret Pole, 8th Countess of Salisbury (d. 1541)
- August 17 – Richard, Duke of York, one of the Princes in the Tower (d. 1483)
- September 24 – Georg von Frundsberg, German Knight and landowner (d. 1528)
- October 26 – Friedrich of Saxony (d. 1510)
- date unknown – Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk, Tudor politician (d. 1555)
- January 24 – Conrad Paumann, German composer (b. c. 1410)
- February 23 – Arnold, Duke of Gelderland (b. 1410)
- April 3 – Alessandro Sforza, Italian condottiero (b. 1409)
- May 8 – John Stafford, 1st Earl of Wiltshire, English politician (b. 1420)
- July 10 – James II of Cyprus (b. c. 1440)
- December 24 – John Cantius, Polish scholar and theologian (b. 1390)
- date unknown
- probable – Patriarch Gennadios II of Constantinople (b. c. 1400)