From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1483.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Centuries:||14th century · 15th century · 16th century|
|Decades:||1450s · 1460s · 1470s · 1480s · 1490s · 1500s · 1510s|
|Years:||1480 · 1481 · 1482 · 1483 · 1484 · 1485 · 1486|
|1483 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1483 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2236|
|English Regnal year||22 Edw. 4 – 1 Ric. 3|
|Chinese calendar||壬寅年 (Water Tiger)
4179 or 4119
— to —
癸卯年 (Water Rabbit)
4180 or 4120
|- Vikram Samvat||1539–1540|
|- Shaka Samvat||1404–1405|
|- Kali Yuga||4583–4584|
|Japanese calendar||Bunmei 15
|Minguo calendar||429 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||2025–2026|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1483.|
- January 1 – Jews are expelled from Andalusia.
- February 11 – Creation of the General Council of Inquisition in Spain.
- April 9 – Edward V becomes King of England.
- April 29 – Gran Canaria, the main of the Canary Islands is conquered by the Kingdom of Castile, a very important step in the expansion of Spain.
- April 30 – Pluto moves inside Neptune's orbit until July 23, 1503, according to modern orbital calculations.
- April – King Edward V of England and his younger brother Richard, Duke of York reside in the Tower of London. Later this year, rumors of their murders start circulating. By December the rumors have reached France. This is the beginning of the mystery concerning the fates of the two Princes in the Tower.
- June 13 – William Hastings, 1st Baron Hastings, is executed, in the first recorded execution at the Tower of London.
- June 20 – The powerful Fernando II, Duke of Braganza is executed in Portugal, followed by more than 80 other noblemen, for his plot against the Royal crown.
- June 25 – Before his coronation, King Edward V of England is deposed by his uncle, Richard, Duke of Gloucester, who becomes King as Richard III of England.
- July 6 – Richard III is crowned king of England at Westminster Abbey.
- July 20 – John of Denmark is crowned King of Norway.
- August 9 – The Sistine Chapel opens in the Apostolic Palace in Rome.
- September 3 – The Princes in the Tower, uncrowned 12-year-old Edward V of England and his 10-year-old brother, Richard, Duke of York, are perhaps murdered this night in the Tower of London.
- October – A rebellion by the Duke of Buckingham is crushed by Richard III of England.
- Isaac Abravanel flees Portugal after being implicated in a plot against the king.
- The Prince of Moscow builds the fortress of Ivangorod facing Narva.
- Giovanni Bellini is named official painter of the Republic of Venice.
- Flavio Biondo publishes his Historiarum ab inclinatione romanorum imperii.
- January 12 – Henry III of Nassau-Breda, Baron of Breda (d. 1538)
- February 14 – Zahir al-Din Mohammed Babur Shah, founder of the Moghul dynasty (d. 1530)
- March 6 – Francesco Guicciardini, Italian historian and statesman (d. 1540)
- April 6 – Raphael, Italian painter and architect (d. 1520)
- April 19 – Paolo Giovio, Italian bishop (d. 1552)
- July 20 – Wang Gen, Chinese philosopher (d. 1541)
- September 3 – Eric II, Duke of Mecklenburg (d. 1508)
- October 16 – Gasparo Contarini, Italian diplomat and cardinal (d. 1542)
- October 26 – Hans Buchner, German Renaissance composer (d. 1538)
- November 10 – Martin Luther, German monk and Protestant reformer (d. 1546)
- November 16 – Elisabeth of the Palatinate, Landgravine of Hesse, German noble (d. 1522)
- December 3 – Nicolaus von Amsdorf, German theologian and Protestant reformer (d. 1565)
- date unknown
- February 27 – William VIII of Montferrat (b. 1420)
- April 4 – Henry Bourchier, 1st Earl of Essex (b. c. 1405)
- April 9 – King Edward IV of England (b. 1442)
- May 4 – George Neville, Duke of Bedford (b. 1457)
- June 13 – William Hastings, 1st Baron Hastings (executed; b. 1431)
- June 25
- July 4 – Costanzo I Sforza, Italian condottiero (b. 1447)
- August 30 – King Louis XI of France (b. 1423)
- November 2 – Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham, English politician (b. 1454)
- date unknown
- Weir, Alison. The Princes in the Tower. p. 157.