148th Space Operations Squadron
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|148th Space Operations Squadron|
148th Space Operations Squadron emblem
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||162d Combat Communications Group/California ANG|
|Garrison/HQ||Vandenberg Air Force Base|
|Motto(s)||We hold the keys|
|Lt Col Jim Foster|
The United States Air Force's 148th Space Operations Squadron (148 SOPS) is a satellite control unit located at Vandenberg AFB, California. The 148th SOPS is tasked with back-up command and control of the MILSTAR satellite constellation.
The 148 SOPS mans the Primary Satellite Operations Center-Vandenberg (PSOC-V), one of two fixed Milstar Ground Stations. Unique to Milstar is its ground segment for control of the constellation. Milstar has two fixed ground stations, Primary Satellite Operations Center (PSOC), at 4 SOPS and Primary Satellite Operations Center – Vandenberg or PSOC-V. Each site is fully capable of complete constellation control and operates 24/7. The Milstar Ops Center-Vandenberg is operated by the 148 SOPS, a California Air Guard Unit, and does control 2 Milstar satellites full-time.
The 148 SOPS was originally established as the 148th Combat Communications Squadron at Compton, California. The unit was redesignated the 148th Space Operations Squadron, and relocated to Vandenberg AFB, California on 31 October 2000.
- 148th Space Operations Squadron (2000–present)
- 148th Combat Communications Squadron (1976–2000)
- 148th Mobil Communications Squadron (1960–1976)
- 148th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron (1948–1960)
- Vandenberg AFB, California (2000–present)
- March ARB, California (1997–2000)
- Ontario ANGS, California (1984–1997)
- Compton, California (1948–1951) as the 148th Aircraft Control and Warming Squadron.
- Oklahoma Air Force Station, OK (1 May 1951 – 31 January 1953) Oklahoma Air Force Station, OK.
- Compton ANG Station, CA (1953–1960) as 148th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron.
- Compton ANGB, CA (1960–1976) as the 148th Mobil Communications Squadron.
- Compton ANGB, CA (1976–1984) as 148th Combat Communications Squadron.
- Ontario ANGB, CA ( 1984–1997) as 148th Combat Communications Squadron.
Title: 50th Anniversary-History of 148th Combat Comm Squadron.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- 4th Space Operations Squadron - Active Duty Counterpart to 148 SOPS
- MILSTAR - Military Strategic and Tactical Relay satellite
- "Office of the Secretary of Defense: "The Annual Report of the Reserve Forces Policy Board Data Based on Fiscal Year 2000", May 2001". Archived from the original on 8 June 2009. Retrieved 5 June 2009.
- "Secretary of the Air Force/Installations, Environment and Logistics: "FORMER ONTARIO AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE (BRAC 1995)"". Archived from the original on 8 June 2009. Retrieved 5 June 2009.
- "MilitaryMuseum.org: "History of Ontario Air National Guard Station", 18 April 08". Archived from the original on 8 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-05.