1492 Pictures is an American film production company founded by Chris Columbus, Mark Radcliffe and Michael Barnathan in 1994. The name is a play on Columbus's more famous namesake, Christopher Columbus, and his 1492 landing in the Americas.
In addition to various Columbus films, 1492 Pictures has produced movies by other directors including Brian Levant (Jingle All the Way), Henry Selick (Monkeybone), Alfonso Cuarón (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban), Joe Roth (Christmas with the Kranks), Tim Story (the Fantastic Four films), and Shawn Levy (the Night at the Museum series).
In 1994, Chris Columbus, who successfully directed the first two Home Alone films, and Mrs. Doubtfire, signed a three-year deal with 20th Century Fox, thus eventually led to the creation of a company called 1492 Pictures. Its first feature was Nine Months. The deal was eventually extended in 1997.
In 2009, it signed a deal with Korean company CJ Entertainment for three years, to produce its feature films.
In 2012, it signed a deal with ro*co productions to adapt documentary films into scripted feature films.
|1995||Nine Months||Chris Columbus||20th Century Fox||first film||N/A||$138.5 million|
|1996||Jingle All the Way||Brian Levant||$75 million||$129.8 million|
|1998||Stepmom||Chris Columbus||Sony Pictures Releasing||co-production with Columbia Pictures||$50 million||$159.7 million|
|1999||Bicentennial Man||Buena Vista Pictures||co-production with Columbia Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Laurence Mark Productions and Radiant Productions||$100 million||$87.4 million|
|TBA||Five Nights at Freddy's||Chris Columbus||TBA||co-production with Blumhouse Productions|
|2018||The Christmas Chronicles||Clay Kaytis||Netflix||co-production with Wonder Worldwide|
|2020||Scoob!||Tony Cervone||Warner Bros. Pictures||co-production with Warner Animation Group, and Reel FX|
|The Christmas Chronicles 2||Chris Columbus||Netflix||co-production with Wonder Worldwide and 20th Century Street|
|2021||Night at the Museum: Kahmunrah Rises Again||TBA||Disney+||co-production with 20th Century Animation, Alibaba Pictures and 21 Laps Entertainment|
- "NETFLIX INKS FIRST LOOK FEATURE FILM DEAL WITH CHRIS COLUMBUS'S 1492 PICTURES" (Press release). Netflix Media Center. December 5, 2018. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Jami Philbirck, "IAR EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Chris Columbus talks 'The Help'", Iamrogue.com, August 10, 2011.
- "Fox signs deal with Columbus". UPI. Retrieved 2020-05-08.
- Petrikin, Chris (1997-04-08). "Fox, ho! Columbus keeps anchor at 20th". Variety. Retrieved 2020-05-08.
- Fleming, Michael (2009-11-09). "Columbus sails with CJ". Variety. Retrieved 2020-05-08.
- "Is Hollywood Ready for Korean Comedies?". Chosun Ilbo. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- Peter Debruge, "The Help," Variety, August 8, 2011.
- Gregg Goldstein, "A little 'Help' among friends," Variety, August 6, 2011.
- Sneider, Jeff (2012-01-21). "1492, ro*co to partner on pics". Variety. Retrieved 2020-05-08.
- Kroll, Justin (2018-12-05). "Netflix Signs First-Look Deal With Chris Columbus' Production Company". Variety. Retrieved 2020-05-08.
- "The Young Messiah Film Set for March 2016 Release". CBN.com (beta).
- 1492 Pictures at IMDb
- Maiden Voyage Pictures at IMDb
- ZAG Animation Studios at IMDb
- Variety on the making of The Help