1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created
|Author||Charles C. Mann|
|9 August 2011|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
|LC Class||D228 .M36 2011|
|Preceded by||1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus|
1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created is a nonfiction book by Charles C. Mann first published in 2011. It covers the global effects of the Columbian Exchange, following Columbus' first landing in the Americas, that led to our current globalized world civilization. It follows on from Mann's previous book on the Americas prior to Columbus, 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus.
In the United Kingdom, the book is published by Granta Books and is titled 1493: How the Ecological Collision of Europe and the Americas Gave Rise to the Modern World.
Ian Morris in his New York Times review appreciates the interesting tales Mann tells, writing: "He makes even the most unpromising-sounding subjects fascinating. I, for one, will never look at a piece of rubber in quite the same way now that I have been introduced to the debauched nouveaux riches of 19th-century Brazil, guzzling Champagne from bathtubs and gunning one another down in the streets of Manaus." Gregory McNamee in The Washington Post finds 1493 "fascinating and complex, exemplary in its union of meaningful fact with good storytelling."
- 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
- Indian Givers: How the Indians of the Americas Transformed the World
- Mann, Charles C. (2011). 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created. New York: Knopf. ISBN 978-0-307-26572-2.
- Mann, Charles C. (8 August 2011). "In '1493,' Columbus Shaped A World To Be; talking about his book 1493". NPR Fresh Air (Radio Interview). Terry Gross. WHYY-FM. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- Mann, Charles C. (26 September 2011). "1493: Uncovering the new World Columbus Created". ALOUD at Central Library, Los Angeles Public Library (Television Interview). Richard Rodriguez. Los Angeles, California: C-SPAN. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- Mann, Charles C. (2005). 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus. New York: Knopf. ISBN 1-4000-4006-X.
- Morris, Ian (19 August 2011). "Seeds, Germs and Slaves". The New York Times Sunday Book Review. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- McNamee, Gregory; Steven Levingston (26 August 2011). "'1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created,' by Charles C. Mann". The Washington Post. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
|This article about a non-fiction history book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|