150th Rifle Division (Soviet Union)
|150-я стрелковая дивизия "Идрицкая"
150th Rifle Division
|Active||September 1939 – December 1946
|Country|| Soviet Union (1939-1946)
|Decorations||Order of Kutuzov|
The 150th Rifle 'Idritskaya' Division (Russian: 150-я стрелковая дивизия 'Идрицкая') was a formation in the Red Army fighting on the Eastern Front of World War II from 1941 to 1945. It gained most fame as the formation whose soldiers raised the Soviet flag over the Reichstag near the end of the war.
The Division was formed three times, being initially established at Vyazma in September 1939. As part of the 3rd Army's 3rd Rifle Corps the division took part in the Soviet Invasion of Poland.
- 469th Rifle Regiment
- 674th Rifle Regiment
- 756th Rifle Regiment
- 328th Light Artillery Regiment
- 418th Howitzer Regiment
Operating as part of the 9th Army on 22 June 1941, then, after the Second Battle of Kharkov, being wiped out at Izyum in May 1942. It was recreated at Turga in August 1942. It was then re-created for the third time in September 1943.
When formed for the third time, it was composed of the 127th, 144th, and 151st brigades. Initially this division fell under the command of the 34th Army. But during some time in early 1944 it was transferred to the 6th Guards Army, and then finally it was assigned to the 79th Rifle Corps of the 3rd Shock Army, of the 1st Belorussian Front, under which it would stay on the offensive all the way from Nevel, Pskov Oblast to Berlin.
On April 22, 1945, when victory for the Soviet Army was near, an order from the Military Council of the 3rd Shock Army designated the 150th Division to be one of 9 divisions to receive a special banner solely for the purpose of raising it over the Reichstag as a sign of the Soviet victory. Red Army photographer Yevgeny Khaldei took the picture of soldiers Kovaliev and another comrade of the Division's 756th Rifle Regiment hoisting the flag (called the Victory Banner) on April 30, 1945, on the roof of the Reichstag building. An earlier flag had been raised the day before while the building was being fought over with remaining German soldiers. However, as the flag was raised after dusk, there was no chance to take a picture. After taking the shot with the flag Khaldei rushed back to Moscow, and it was later decided that the true persons on the photo, Kovaliev and his comrade, were not politically correct. So they became Meliton Kantaria (a Georgian, like Stalin) and Mikhail Yegorov (a Russian).
15 personnel were awarded the Gold Star Medal as Heroes of the Soviet Union, while a veteran of the unit was given the Gold Star Medal as a Hero of Ukraine in 2005.
The unit was reformed in 2016 as the 150th Idritsa-Berlin Order of Kutuzov 2nd Class Motor Rifle Division (Russian: 150-я Идрицко-Берлинская ордена Кутузова 2-й степени мотострелковая дивизия) in Rostov Oblast as a full motor rifle division with its division HQ scheduled to open in Novocherkassk on 1 December 2016, and will likely be part of the newly reactivated Southern Military District tank army as part of the ongoing structural reform.
The division will be equipped with T-90A MBTs, BMP-3 IFVs and BTR-80 APCs, and contains as-yet undisclosed infantry, armour, artillery and SAM regiments, as well as communications, logistics and intelligence units. The division's re-formation was completed by 2017.
- Major-general Sergei Alekseyevich Kniazkov (1939–1940)
- Major-general Alexander Ivanovich Pastrevich (1940–1941)
- Major-general Daniil Grigorevich Egorov (1941–1942)
- Major-general Stepan Ivanovich Povetkin (1942–1943)
- Colonel Leonid Vasilyevich Yakovlev (September 1943 – April 1944)
- Major-general Vasily Mitrofanovich Shatilov (May 1944 – December 1946)
- Nafizger Collection 939RJAA
- A largely symbolic move, as the building had not been the seat of German power since the 1933 Reichstag fire
- Merzlyakov, Roman (23 April 2016). "Боевое соединение на юге России назовут в честь покорителей Рейхстага" [Military forces in the south of Russia will be named for the conquerors of the Reichstag]. Rossiyskaya Gazeta (in Russian). Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Источник: новое соединение на юге РФ получит имя дивизии, бравшей Рейхстаг" [Source: A New Unit in South Russia will received the name of the division that took the Reichstag]. TASS (in Russian). 23 April 2016. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Новая 150-я мотострелковая дивизия приступила к защите рубежей на юге РФ" (Russian), TASS (2 December 2016)
- "Министр обороны проинспектировал ход обустройства 150-й мотострелковой дивизии ЮВО в Ростовской области" (Russian), Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation (19 January 2017)