1548 in science
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- February 14 – Battle of Uedahara: Firearms are used for the first time on the battlefield in Japan.
- August 10 – Debate in Milan between mathematicians Lodovico Ferrari and Niccolò Fontana Tartaglia concerning the algebraic method for resolving third-degree equations.
- John Dee starts to study at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Georgius Agricola – De animantibus subterraneis
- Valerius Cordus – Pharmacorum conficiendorum ratio (posthumous)
- Rembert Dodoens – Cosmographica in astronomiam et geographiam isagoge
- Gemma Frisius – De Orbis divisione et insulis rebusque nuper inventis
- William Turner – The names of herbes in Greke, Latin, Englishe Duche and Frenche wyth the commune names that Herbaries and Apotecaries use
- April 15 – Pietro Cataldi, Italian mathematician (died 1626)
- Giordano Bruno, Italian Dominican friar, philosopher, mathematician, poet, astrologer and astronomer (k. 1600)
- Abul Qasim ibn Mohammed al-Ghassani, Moroccan physician (died 1610)
- Jacques de Cahaignes, French physician (died 1612)
- approx. date – Simon Stevin, Flemish scientist (died 1620)
- Pedro Ciruelo, Spanish mathematician (born 1470)
- September 29 – Walther H. Ryff, German science writer (born c. 1500)