1570 in science
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- May 20 – Abraham Ortelius publishes Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, the first modern atlas, in Antwerp.
- Jean Cossin publishes a map of the world using sinusoidal projection in Dieppe.
- February 8 – Concepción earthquake (magnitude 8.3) in Chile.
- Volcanic eruption in the Santorini caldera begins.
- London haberdasher Henry Billingsley makes the first translation of Euclid's Elements into English (from the Greek), The elements of geometrie of the most ancient philosopher Euclide..., with a preface by John Dee and fold-up diagrams.
- Giovanni Padovani publishes a detailed treatise on the construction of sundials, Opus de compositione et usu multiformium horologiorum solarium, in Venice.