From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1574.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|1574 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Lists of leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Ab urbe condita||2327|
|English Regnal year||16 Eliz. 1 – 17 Eliz. 1|
|Chinese calendar||癸酉年 (Water Rooster)
4270 or 4210
— to —
甲戌年 (Wood Dog)
4271 or 4211
|- Vikram Samvat||1630–1631|
|- Shaka Samvat||1495–1496|
|- Kali Yuga||4674–4675|
|Japanese calendar||Tenshō 2
|Minguo calendar||338 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||2116–2117|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1574.|
- February 23 – The fifth War of Religion against the Huguenots begins in France.
- April 14 – Battle of Mookerheyde: Spanish forces under Sancho de Avila defeat the rebel forces of Louis of Nassau, who is killed.
- May 30 – On the death of King Charles IX of France, he is succeeded by his brother King Henry of Poland, who becomes King Henry III of France. His mother, Catherine de' Medici, acts as Regent until Henry arrives from Poland.
- June 10 – Manila gains cityhood.
- August 30 – Guru Ram Das becomes the fourth of the Sikh gurus.
- October 3 – The city of Leiden, besieged by the Spanish, is relieved by a Sea Beggars fleet under Louis Boisot.
- November 22 – The Juan Fernández Islands in the South Pacific Ocean are discovered by Spanish sailor Juan Fernández.
- November 29 – Limahong and Juan de Salcedo quarrel during the Battle of Manila.
- December – Murad III succeeds Selim II as Ottoman Emperor.
- Prince El-Mirza of Kakheti is defeated in his bid for the throne by his half-brother, Alexander II.
- La Alameda, Seville, is laid out in Spain as Europe's first public garden.
- January 17 – Robert Fludd, English Rosicrucian and Paracelsian physicist (d. 1637)
- February 17 – Pedro Téllez-Girón, 3rd Duke of Osuna, Spanish nobleman and politician (d. 1624)
- March 4 – Carl Gyllenhielm, Swedish soldier and politician (d. 1650)
- March 5 – William Oughtred, English mathematician and Anglican minister (d. 1660)
- March 7 – John Wilbye, English composer (date of baptism) (d. 1638)
- May 6 – Pope Innocent X (d. 1655)
- May 14
- June 13 – Juan Alonso de Solis y Mendoza, Roman Catholic prelate, Bishop of Puerto Rico (1635–1640) (d. 1640)
- June 20 – Wilhelm Kettler, Duke of Courland (d. 1640)
- June – Richard Barnfield, English poet (d. 1627)
- July 1 – Joseph Hall, English bishop and satirist (d. 1656)
- July 2 – Dorothea Maria of Anhalt, Duchess consort of Saxe-Weimar (1602–1605) (d. 1617)
- July 10 – Clara Maria of Pomerania-Barth, German noble (d. 1623)
- July 23 – Balthasar I Moretus, Flemish printer (d. 1641)
- August 2 – Sir Richard Beaumont, 1st Baronet, English politician (d. 1631)
- August 7 – Robert Dudley, styled Earl of Warwick, English explorer and geographer (d. 1649)
- August 28 – Frederick IV, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg (1636–1648) (d. 1648)
- August 30 – Albert Szenczi Molnár, Hungarian translator (d. 1634)
- September 6 – Luis Sotelo, Franciscan friar who died as a martyr in Japan (d. 1624)
- September 18 – Claudio Achillini, Philosopher, theologian, mathematician, poet, jurist (d. 1640)
- September 29 – Ludovic Stewart, 2nd Duke of Lennox, Scottish nobleman and politician (d. 1624)
- September – Thomas Gataker, English clergyman and theologian (d. 1654)
- October 14 – Anne of Denmark, queen of James VI of Scotland (d. 1619)
- October 25 – François de Sourdis, Catholic cardinal (d. 1628)
- November 4 – Erycius Puteanus, humanist, philologist (d. 1646)
- November 5 – Charlotte de La Marck, 16th-century French noblewoman (d. 1594)
- November 10 – Archduchess Maria Christina of Austria, Austrian archduchess (d. 1621)
- November 30 – Frederick of Solms-Rödelheim, imperial chamberlain, war and Obrist (d. 1649)
- December 8 – Maria Anna of Bavaria (d. 1616)
- December 10 – Mikołaj Łęczycki, Polish Jesuit (d. 1653)
- December 12 – Adam Wenceslaus, Duke of Cieszyn, Duke of Teschen (d. 1617)
- December 15 – Samuel Besler, Polish composer (d. 1625)
- date unknown
- January 26 – Martin Helwig, German cartographer of Silesia (b. 1516)
- January 30 – Damião de Góis, Portuguese philosopher (b. 1502)
- April 14 – Louis of Nassau, Dutch general (b. 1538)
- April 17 – Joachim Camerarius, German classical scholar (b. 1500)
- April 21 – Cosimo I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany (b. 1519)
- April 30 – Joseph Boniface de La Molle, Provençale lover of Marguerite de Valois (b. 1530)
- May 14 – Guru Amar Das, third Sikh Guru (b. 1479)
- May 30 – King Charles IX of France (b. 1550)
- June 26 – Gabriel, comte de Montgomery, captain of the Scottish Guard of Henry II of France (b. 1530)
- June 27 – Giorgio Vasari, Italian painter and architect (b. 1511)
- August 27 – Bartolomeo Eustachi, Italian anatomist.
- September 17 – Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, first Spanish Governor of Florida (b. 1519)
- October 1 – Marten Jacobszoon Heemskerk van Veen, Dutch painter (b. 1498)
- November 28 – Georg Major, German Protestant theologian (b. 1502)
- December 4 – Georg Joachim Rheticus, German mathematician and cartographer (b. 1514)
- December 24 – Pedro Menendez de Aviles, Spanish admiral and explorer (b. 1519)
- December 26 – Charles of Guise, French cardinal (b. 1527)
- date unknown