1579 in Scotland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|See also:||List of years in Scotland
Timeline of Scottish history
1579 in: England • Ireland • Elsewhere
Events from the year 1579 in the Kingdom of Scotland.
Monarch - James VI
- Spring — Government forces move to crush the power of the Clan Hamilton in the west of Scotland; Claud Hamilton and his brother Lord John Hamilton flee to England.
- First of the Scottish Poor Laws passed.
- 23 August — Thomas Dempster, Catholic scholar and historian (died 1625)
- Jean Kincaid, mariticide (executed 1600)
- John Ogilvie (saint), Jesuit (executed 1615)
- Approximate date —
- 25 April — John Stewart, 4th Earl of Atholl, noble
- Mary Livingston, noble and courtier (born c. 1541)
- Sir James MacGill, courtier
- Possible date —