1599 in Ireland
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||Other events of 1599 |
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1599 in Ireland.
- March 12 – Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex, is appointed Lord Lieutenant of Ireland by Queen Elizabeth I of England.
- March 27 – Essex leaves London with a large force to pursue a military campaign in Ireland.
- May 29 – Nine Years' War: Essex captures Cahir Castle in Munster.
- August 15 – Nine Years' War: Irish victory over the English at the Battle of Curlew Pass.
- September 8 – Essex in Ireland: Essex signs a truce with Hugh O'Neill, then leaves Ireland against the instructions of Queen Elizabeth.
- April 17 – Patrick Fleming, Franciscan ecclesiastical scholar (d. 1631)
- Probable date – John Lynch (Gratianus Lucius), Roman Catholic priest and historian (d. c.1677)
- Brian O'Rourke, son of Tadhg O'Rourke of West Breifne and Mary O'Donnell of Tyrconnell. Died in the Tower of London in 1641.
- January 19 – Richard Bingham, Marshal of Ireland, dies upon his arrival in Dublin
- August 15 – Conyers Clifford, English commander, is killed at Curlew Pass
- December 31 – John Houling, Jesuit, of plague in Lisbon, (b. c.1539)