|Number built||16 cars (3 sets)|
|Number in service||None|
|Formation||4/8 cars per set|
|Car body construction||Steel|
|Doors||2 per side|
|Electric system(s)||1,500 V DC|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The 159 series (159系?) was an electric multiple unit (EMU) train type operated by Japanese National Railways (JNR) from 1961 until 1980. They were originally designed for and used on school excursion trains running between Tokyo and the Nagoya area via the Tokaido Main Line.
Broadly based on the earlier 155 series trains, the 159 series trains were also initially painted in the JNR excursion train livery of "lemon yellow" and "light scarlet".
|Numbering||KuHa 159||MoHa 158||MoHa 159||SaHa 159||SaHa 159||MoHa 158||MoHa 159||KuHa 159|
|Numbering||KuHa 159||MoHa 158||MoHa 159||KuHa 159|
- The MoHa 158 cars were each equipped with one lozenge-type pantograph.
- Tc: driving trailer
- T: intermediate trailer
- M: intermediate motor with control equipment
- M': intermediate motor
The 159 series sets entered service from 2 April 1961 on Komadori (こまどり?) school excursion services running on the Tokaido Main Line between Shinagawa Station in Tokyo and Ogaki Station in Aichi Prefecture. Trains carried headboards on the front with the name of the train. An additional four-car set was delivered in 1962 to allow 16-car formations to be run.
The Komadori school excursion services were discontinued in 1973, and the 159 series were reassigned to use on "rapid" limited-stop services and charter train services, repainted into the Shonan livery of orange and green.
- Matsumoto, Norihisa (April 2014). "初登場の修学旅行電車" [The first school-excursion trains]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 54 (636): 126–131.
- 写真とイラストで見る国鉄急行型電車のすべて [JNR Express EMUs in pictures]. Japan: Neko Publishing Ltd. 29 November 2013. pp. 40–43. ISBN 978-4-7770-1532-0.
- Teramoto, Mitsuteru (23 July 2001). 国鉄・ＪＲ列車名大辞典 [JNR & JR Train Name Encyclopedia]. Tokyo, Japan: Chuoshoin Publishing Co., Ltd. p. 239. ISBN 4-88732-093-0.
- Sasada, Masahiro (September 2012). 国鉄&JR保存車大全 [JNR & JR Preserved Rolling Stock Complete Guide]. Tokyo, Japan: Ikaros Publications Ltd. p. 127. ISBN 978-4863206175.