15 cm sFH 02
|15 cm sFH 02|
A German 15 cm sFH 02 howitzer from 1917
|Type||Heavy field howitzer|
|Place of origin||German Empire|
|Used by||German Empire|
|Wars||World War I|
|Weight||2,035 kg (4,486 lb)|
|Barrel length||1.8 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Height||1.23 m (4 ft)|
|Shell||40.5 kg (89 lb)|
|Caliber||149.1 mm (5.87 in)|
|Elevation||0° to +45°|
|Muzzle velocity||325 m/s (1,070 ft/s)|
|Maximum firing range||7,450 m (8,150 yd)|
Design and history
It was the first artillery piece to use a modern recoil system in the German Army. Some 416 were in service at the beginning of the World War I. Its mobility, which allowed it to be deployed as medium artillery, and fairly heavy shell gave the German army a firepower advantage in the early battles in Belgium and France in 1914 as the French and British armies lacked an equivalent. France had a Canon de 65 M with a recoil system, but used it only as a mountain howitzer.
Another sFH 02 howitzer, this one confiscated by the US after World War I and now located in Sierra Madre Memorial Park.
- 15 cm sFH 13 : German successor
Weapons of comparable role, performance and era
- 15 cm schwere Feldhaubitze M 94: Austro-Hungarian equivalent
- BL 6 inch 30 cwt howitzer: British equivalent
- Rimailho Model 1904TR : French equivalent
- 152 mm howitzer M1910 : French/Russian equivalent
- 6 inch field howitzer M-1908 : approximate US equivalent
- Jäger, p. 29
- Farndale 1986, page 59
- lovettartillery.com, Development of German Heavy Artillery, by CW2 Ralph Lovett
- General Sir Martin Farndale, History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery. Western Front 1914–1918. The Royal Artillery Institution, 1986. ISBN 1-870114-00-0.
- Jäger, Herbert. German Artillery of World War One. Ramsbury, Marlborough, Wiltshire: Crowood Press, 2001. ISBN 1-86126-403-8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 15 cm sFH 02.|
- Lovett Artillery Collection
- "sFH 02 on Landships". landships.freeservers.com. Archived from the original on 22 February 2012.
- List and pictures of World War I surviving 15cm sFH 02 howitzers