15th AVN Awards
|15th AVN Awards|
History: The 1998 AVN Awards Show program cover
|Date||January 10, 1998|
|Site||Caesars Palace, Paradise, Nevada|
|Produced by||Gary Miller|
|Directed by||Mark Stone|
|Best Picture||Bad Wives (Best Film)|
|Most awards||Zazel (7)|
The 15th AVN Awards ceremony, organized by Adult Video News (AVN), took place January 10, 1998 at Caesars Palace, in Paradise, Nevada, U.S.A. During the show, AVN presented AVN Awards (the industry's equivalent of the Academy Awards) in 54 categories honoring the best pornographic films released between Oct. 1, 1996 and Sept. 30, 1997. The ceremony was produced by Gary Miller and directed by Mark Stone. Comedian Robert Schimmel hosted, with adult film actresses Racquel Darrian and Misty Rain as co-hosts. At a pre-awards cocktail reception held the previous evening, 50 more AVN Awards, mostly for behind-the-scenes achievements, were given out by hosts Nici Sterling and Dave Tyree, however, this event was neither televised nor distributed on VHS tapes as was the main evening's ceremony. Both events included awards categories for gay movies; the final year the show included both gay and heterosexual awards. The gay awards were subsequently spun off into a separate show, the GayVN Awards.
Zazel won the most awards with seven, however, Bad Wives, which received six statuettes, won for best film. Buda won for best shot-on-video feature. Nic Cramer won Best Director—Film for Operation Sex Siege.
- 1 Winners and nominees
- 2 Presenters and performers
- 3 Ceremony information
- 4 In Memoriam
- 5 See also
- 6 Notes
- 7 Bibliography
- 8 External links
Winners and nominees
The winners were announced during the awards ceremony on January 10, 1998. Besides winning best film, Bad Wives also won Best Actress for Dyanna Lauren, Best Actor for Steven St. Croix and Best Screenplay for Dean Nash. Zazel was named best all-sex film and Naked Highway was the best gay video. Johnni Black won Best New Starlet, while Performers of the Year were: Stephanie Swift, female; Tom Byron, male; and Jim Buck, gay.
|Best Shot-on-Video Feature||Best Gay Video|
|Male Performer of the Year||Gay Performer of the Year|
|Female Performer of the Year||Best New Starlet|
|Best Actor—Film||Best Actress—Film|
|Best Actor—Video||Best Actress—Video|
|Best Supporting Actor—Film||Best Supporting Actress—Film|
|Best Supporting Actor—Video||Best Supporting Actress—Video|
|Best Director—Film||Best Director—Video|
|Best Director—Gay Video||Best All-Girl Feature|
|Best Foreign Release||Best European Release (The Hot Video Award)|
|Best All-Sex Film||Best All-Sex Video|
|Best Gonzo Video||Best Sex Comedy|
|Best Selling Tape of the Year||Best Renting Tape of the Year|
|Best Couples Sex Scene—Film||Best Couples Sex Scene—Video|
|Best Group Sex Scene—Film||Best Group Sex Scene—Video|
|Best All-Girl Sex Scene—Film||Best All-Girl Sex Scene—Video|
Additional award winners
These awards were announced, but not presented, in a winners-only segments read by Robert Schimmel and Misty Rain during the event. Recipients' awards were distributed off-stage:
The previous night, January 9, 1998, during AVN's pre-awards cocktail reception, hosts adult film actress Nici Sterling and comedian Dave Tyree handed out these awards, mostly for behind-the-scenes excellence:
Honorary AVN Awards
Special Achievement Awards
- Al Goldstein, "for his lifelong defense of the First Amendment"
- Christy Canyon, "for her lifetime achievement in the adult video industry"
- Dave Friedman, "one of the founding fathers of the adult film and video industries"
AVN Breakthrough Award
Hall of Fame
AVN Hall of Fame inductees for 1998, announced during AVN's pre-awards cocktail reception, were: Lois Ayres, Rene Bond, Jerry Butler, Careena Collins, Jon Dough, Jerry Douglas, Roy Karch, Keisha, Dorothy LeMay, Chelsea Manchester, Constance Money, Paul Norman, Jace Rocker, Derek Stanton, Jane Waters, Bambi Woods
Adult Internet Awards
The 1998 Adult Internet Awards winners were announced at another time later in the year and were not part of the show:
PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARDS:
Multiple nominations and awards
Presenters and performers
Presenters (in order of appearance)
Chi Chi LaRue
|Presenters of the awards for Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress in a feature film|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Couples Sex Scene—Film and Best Couples Sex Scene—Video|
|Presenters of the awards for Best All-Girl Sex Scene—Video and Best All-Girl Sex Scene—Film|
|Jasmin St. Claire
|Presenters of the awards for Best Group Sex Scene—Video and Best Group Sex Scene—Film|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Selling Tape of the Year and Best Renting Tape of the Year|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Foreign Release and Best All-Girl Feature|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Supporting Actor—Video and Best Supporting Actress—Video|
|Presenters of the Hot Video Award (Best European Release)|
|Presenters of the awards for Male Performer of the Year and Female Performer of the Year|
|Paul Fishbein||Presenter of the AVN Special Achievement Awards|
|Gene Ross||Presenter of the AVN Breakthrough Award|
|Missy||Presenter of the Best New Starlet Award|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Director—Video and Best Director—Film|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Actor—Video and Best Actress—Video|
|Presenters for the awards for Best Actor in a Film and Best Actress in a Film|
|Steven St. Croix
|Presenters of the awards for Best Gonzo Video and Best Sex Comedy|
|Presenters of the awards for Best All-Sex Video and Best All-Sex Film|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Shot-on-Video Feature and Best Film|
|The Stingers||Performer||Musical performance: "Sing, Sing, Sing"|
|Robert Schimmel||Performer||Standup comedy segment|
| Serenity 
and the Dirty Dancers
|Performers||Musical number: "History Comes Quickly"|
|Dyanna Lauren||Performer||Musical number: "Psycho Magnet"|
|The Spicy Girls
(Lauren Montgomery and Midori)
|Performers||Musical number: "Calling All Girls"|
Among the people participating in production of the ceremony, Mark Stone also served as musical director; an opening video entitled "History" was produced by Steve Austin and Serenity was responsible for choreography.
The ceremonies were published on VHS tapes by both VCA Pictures and Playboy Entertainment Group. The Playboy tape includes softcore scenes from the winning movies, while the VCA tape features hardcore scenes of the winners. The awards show was also rebroadcast over the Internet by High Society magazine via cun-tv.com on May 16, 1998.
The 1998 AVN Awards later achieved an unexpected shot of mainstream coverage when David Foster Wallace attended the ceremony as part of his overall exploration of pornography's place (or non-place) in American society as the 20th century was nearing its end. Wallace wrote about the event and some matters connected to it in a piece that he wrote for Premiere magazine and published under a pseudonym, and later added the story to a book under his real name and the title "Big Red Son."
Some attendees were critical of the show's length. In a posting to the Rec.Arts.Movies.Erotica Usenet newsgroup, Tim Evanson noted, "The length of the show was again a concern (the number of heterosexual categories is quiet large), and the number of gay industry insiders attending the awards dipped slightly this year."
- Ross, Gene (March 1998). "Buda, Bad Wives & Zazel Take Top Prizes at the 15th Annual AVN Awards". Adult Video News. Vol. 14 no. 3. Van Nuys, California: AVN Publications, Inc. pp. 52–97. ISSN 0883-7090.
- "History: The 1998 AVN Awards Show". Official Program. Van Nuys, California: AVN Publications, Inc. January 9, 1998.
- Paige, Cinnamon (August 1998). "Exxxtra! Exxxtra!". Adult Cinema Review. Vol. 16 no. 8. New York, New York: Princeton Publishing, Inc. pp. 6–10. ISSN 0277-2914.
- "Porn Vixens in Vegas!". Club International. Vol. 22 no. 6. Sandy Hook, Connecticut: Paragon Publishing, Inc. June 1998. pp. 26–29. ISSN 0747-0819.
- "The 1998 Adult Video News Awards!". High Society. Vol. 23 no. 8. New York, New York: Crescent Publishing Group Inc. August 1998. pp. 106–111.
- Stone, Mark (Director) (1998). Adult Video News Awards 1998 (videotape). VCA Pictures.
- Stone, Mark (Director) (1998). Playboy Goes to the 1998 AVN Awards (videotape). Beverly Hills, California: Playboy Entertainment Group.
- "AVN Awards - 1997". The official website of Rec.Arts.Movies.Erotica. rame.net. 1998. Retrieved May 16, 2016.
- "AVN The Adult Internet Awards: The 1998 Winners List". Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Internet Archive/Adult Video News. 1998. Archived from the original on April 18, 1999. Retrieved May 16, 2016.
- Recob, Den (November 28, 1998). "AVN 1998 Awards Show". Cyberspace Adult Video Reviews. Denny Recob. Retrieved May 16, 2016.
'R' rated clips from the winning movies.
- Evanson, Tim (January 19, 1998). "An analysis of the Gay portion of the awards by Tim Evanson". The official website of Rec.Arts.Movies.Erotica. rame.net. Retrieved May 16, 2016.
- "Exclusive Coverage CES 1998". Fox Magazine. September 1998. p. 70.
- "On the Scene: AVN Awards Ceremony". Swank's Video World. September 1998. p. 40.
- "CES & AVN Awards". Dick magazine (in Japanese). Japan. April 1998.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AVN Awards.|