15th Operations Group
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|15th Operations Group
Boeing C-17A Globemaster III of the 535th Airlift Squadron
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Role||Airlift and Fighter|
|Part of||15th Wing|
|Garrison/HQ||Hickam Air Force Base|
|Decorations||Air Force Outstanding Unit Award|
|15th Operations Group emblem(approved 15 March 1963 for the 15h Wing based on an emblem approved 5 October 1942)|
The 15th Operations Group has five operational squadrons assigned flying C-17, KC-135, F-22, C-40B, and C-37A aircraft along with an operational support squadron supporting the Commander, US Pacific Command and the Commander, Pacific Air Forces.
The 15th Operations Group (Tail Code: HH) consists of the following squadrons:
- 15th Operations Support Squadron
- 19th Fighter Squadron (Lockheed-Martin F-22 Raptor)
- 65th Airlift Squadron (Gulfstream C-37 and Boeing C-40 Clipper) "Special Missions Hawaii"
- 535th Airlift Squadron (McDonnell Douglas C-17 Globemaster III)
On 1 April 1992 the 15th Operations Group was activated when the USAF objective wing organization was implemented for the 15th Air Base Wing implementing the USAF objective wing organization. Upon activation, the 15th OG assumed responsibility from the 15th Air Base Wing for managing operational matters at Hickam AFB and Bellows AFS, Hawaii; and Wake Island Airfield. The group also provided command and control for the defense of the Hawaiian Islands and directed tactical control of Hawaii Air National Guard alert F-15 aircraft. It was assigned the flying squadrons previously assigned to the wing.
Its 25th Air Support Operations Squadron provided combat ready tactical air control parties ready to advise on the employment of air assets in training and combat and to deploy worldwide with each brigade and battalion of the U.S. Army's 25th Infantry Division and other designated ground components. Beginning in 1992, the group had one airlift squadron assigned and equipped with specially configured C-135 aircraft, which provided transportation for the Commander, US Pacific Command, Commander, Pacific Air Forces, and other high-ranking civilian, military, and foreign dignitaries.
Added C-37 aircraft in 2002 and C-40 aircraft in 2003; retired C-135 aircraft in 2003. Assigned second airlift squadron in 2005.
The 15th Operations Group is integrated with the 154th Operations Group of the Hawaii Air National Guard in the "total force" concept. Three of its four flying squadrons have associate units of the Guard integrated with them:
- The 19th Fighter Squadron and the 199th Fighter Squadron
- The 535th Airlift Squadron and the 204th Airlift Squadron
- The 96th Air Refueling Squadron and the 203d Air Refueling Squadron
In 2010, the group added and aircraft to its inventory, when the 19th Fighter Squadron and 96th Air Refueling Squadron were activated.
- Constituted as 15 Operations Group on 1 April 1992
- Activated on 13 April 1992
- 15th Air Intelligence Squadron: 13 April 1992 – 1 June 1994
- 15th Operations Support Squadron: 13 April 1992 – present
- 19th Fighter Squadron: 4 October 2010 – present
- 25th Air Liaison Squadron (later 25th Air Support Operations Squadron): 13 April 1992 – 19 October 2008
- 65th Airlift Squadron: 13 April 1992 – present
- 96th Air Refueling Squadron: 23 July 2010 – 3 September 2015
- 535th Airlift Squadron: 18 April 2005 – present
- Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii, 13 April 1992 – present
- Boeing C-135 Stratofreighter, 1992–2003
- Boeing C-37 Clipper, 2002–present
- C-40, 2003–present
- McDonnell Douglas C-17 Globemaster III, 2005–present
- Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker, 1992–2003
- Lockheed-Martin F-22 Raptor, 2010–present
- Serial 05-5150 of Lot XVII
- Robertson, Patsy (2 December 2010). "Factsheet 15 Wing (PACAF)". Air Force Historical Research Agency. Archived from the original on 22 April 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- The 15th Operations Group uses the wing emblem with the group name on the scroll
- Robertson, Patsy (3 April 2014). "Factsheet 15 Operations Group (PACAF)". Air Force Historical Research Agency. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- LRIP Lot 3 Block 20 03-4051
- KC-135R-BN serial number 61-0290
- Factsheet, 15th Reconnaissance Squadron (accessed 2 April 2012)
- Factsheet, 19th Fighter Squadron (accessed 2 April 2012)
- Factsheet, 65th Airlift Squadron (accessed 2 April 2012)
- Factsheet, 535th Airlift Squadron (accessed 2 April 2012)
- Ravenstein, Charles A. Air Force Combat Wings, Lineage & Honors Histories 1947–1977 (PDF). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.