1642 in Ireland
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Other events of 1642 |
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1642 in Ireland.
- February – English Protestant refugees are massacred at Shrule by Edmond Bourke's soldiers.
- 19 March – the citizens of Galway seize an English naval ship and close the town gates in support of the Irish Rebellion of 1641.
- 26 March – Siege of Drogheda broken by English reinforcements.
- 14 April – Battle of Kilrush: English troops under the James Butler, Earl of Ormonde defeat Irish rebels under James's cousin, Richard Butler, 3rd Viscount Mountgarret.
- July – Battle of Liscarroll: Murrough O'Brien, 1st Earl of Inchiquin, leading an English force, routs an Irish rebel army under Garret Barry advancing on Cork.
- 4 August – Alexander Forbes, 10th Lord Forbes, relieves Forthill and besieges Galway.
- c. August – Covenanter Campbell soldiers of the Argyll's Foot, encouraged by their commanding officer Sir Duncan Campbell of Auchinbreck, massacre the Catholic MacDonald residents of Rathlin Island.
- 7 September – Lord Forbes raises his unsuccessful siege of Galway.
- October – largely-Catholic Royalist Confederate Ireland established, based in Kilkenny; start of the Irish Confederate Wars.
- 24 October – the first Confederate Assembly is held in Kilkenny where it sets up a provisional government.
- c. 14 November – the Confederate Assembly elects a Supreme Council.
- The Presbytery of Ulster, a predecessor of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, is created by chaplains of the Presbyterian Scottish army in Ulster.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- 7 February – William Bedell, Church of Ireland Bishop of Kilmore (b. 1571)
- 6 June – Robert Digby, 1st Baron Digby, peer and Governor of King's County.
- 29 September – David Barry, 1st Earl of Barrymore, dies of wounds received at the Battle of Liscarroll (b. 1604)
- Bernard, Nicholas (1736). The Whole Proceedings of the Siege of Drogheda. Dublin: R. Reilly for S. Hyde.
- Royle, Trevor (2004). Civil War: The Wars of the Three Kingdoms 1638–1660. London: Abacus. p. 143. ISBN 0-349-11564-8.
- "The Carolingian Era". MacDonnell Of Leinster Association. Archived from the original on 1 October 2011. Retrieved 4 November 2011.
- Meehan, C. P. (1846). The Confederation of Kilkenny. Dublin: James Duffy.
|This Ireland-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|