From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events from the year 1642 in Ireland.
- February - English Protestant refugees are massacred at Shrule by Edmond Bourke's soldiers.
- 19 March - The citizens of Galway seize an English naval ship and close the town gates in support of the Irish Rebellion of 1641.
- 26 March - Siege of Drogheda broken by English reinforcements.
- 14 April - Battle of Kilrush: English troops under the James Butler, Earl of Ormonde defeat Irish rebels under James's cousin, Richard Butler, 3rd Viscount Mountgarret.
- July - Battle of Liscarroll: Murrough O'Brien, 1st Earl of Inchiquin, leading an English force, routs an Irish rebel army under Garret Barry advancing on Cork.
- 4 August - Alexander Forbes, 10th Lord Forbes, relieves Forthill and besieges Galway.
- c. August - Covenanter Campbell soldiers of the Argyll's Foot, encouraged by their commanding officer Sir Duncan Campbell of Auchinbreck, massacre the Catholic MacDonald residents of Rathlin Island.
- 7 September - Lord Forbes raises his unsuccessful siege of Galway.
- October - Largely-Catholic Royalist Confederate Ireland established, based in Kilkenny; start of the Irish Confederate Wars.
- 24 October - The first Confederate Assembly is held in Kilkenny where it sets up a provisional government.
- c. 14 November - The Confederate Assembly elects a Supreme Council.
- The Presbytery of Ulster, a predecessor of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, is created by chaplains of the Presbyterian Scottish army in Ulster.
||This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)