1655 in England
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 1655|
Events from the year 1655 in The Protectorate.
- Lord Protector - Oliver Cromwell
- 22 January - Oliver Cromwell dissolves the First Protectorate Parliament.
- 11 March–14 March - Penruddock uprising: a Royalist uprising beginning in Wiltshire is defeated by a skirmish in South Molton.
- 28 April - Admiral Robert Blake destroys the pirate fleet of the bey of Tunis.
- 17 May - William Penn and Robert Venables capture the island of Jamaica from Spain.
- 9 August - The Rule of the Major-Generals, a period of direct military government, begins.
- 24 November - Anglican services prohibited by Cromwell.
- 4 December–18 December - The Whitehall Conference is convened by Cromwell to debate the Resettlement of the Jews in England.
- Anglo-Spanish War 1654–1660
- 11 January - Henry Howard, 7th Duke of Norfolk, politician and soldier (died 1701)
- 23 April (bapt.) - Andrew Allam, writer (died 1685)
- 25 April - John Lowther, 1st Viscount Lonsdale, politician (died 1700)
- 3 June - William Nicolson, bishop and antiquary (died 1727)
- 20 July - Ford Grey, 1st Earl of Tankerville, statesman (died 1701)
- 12 November - Francis Nicholson, military officer and colonial governor (died 1728)
- 28 December - Charles Cornwallis, 3rd Baron Cornwallis, First Lord of the British Admiralty (died 1698)
- Sir John Barker, 4th Baronet, politician (died 1696)
- 31 January (bur.) - Anthony Stapley, Regicide (born 1590)
- February - George Brydges, 6th Baron Chandos, (born 1620)
- 18 March - Father Richard Smith, Bishop (born 1568)
- 16 May - John Penruddock, Cavalier (born 1619) (executed)
- after May - Elizabeth Alkin, Parliamentarian publisher, nurse and spy (born c. 1600)
- by 9 June - Thomas Mauleverer, Member of Parliament and Regicide (born 1599)
- 26 June - Edward Conway, 2nd Viscount Conway, (born 1594)
- 19 November - Stephen Marshall, clergyman (born 1594)
- Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. p. 266. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.
- "1655, British Civil Wars". Archived from the original on 30 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-20.
- Palmer, Alan; Palmer, Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 185–186. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.