1668 in England
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 1668|
Events from the year 1668 which occurred in England.
- Monarch - Charles II
- 28 January - England signs the Triple Alliance with the United Provinces and Sweden.
- 17 January - George Villiers, 2nd Duke of Buckingham fights a duel with Francis Talbot, 11th Earl of Shrewsbury in which the Earl of Shrewsbury is fatally wounded.
- 13 February - Charles II mediates a peace treaty between Spain and Portugal.
- 13 April - John Dryden becomes Poet Laureate.
- The British East India Company takes over Bombay
- William Penn imprisoned for writing a pamphlet attacking Trinitarian doctrine.
- Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford, designed by Christopher Wren, is completed.
- Richard Duckworth's Tintinnalogia, or, the Art of Ringing, the first work on change ringing, is compiled and published complete by Fabian Stedman in London.
- 1668 or 1669 - James, Duke of York, the heir to the throne, secretly takes Eucharist in the Roman Catholic Church.
- November (baptised) - Thomas Woolston, deist (died 1733)
- Thomas Archer, baroque architect (died 1743)
- John Eccles, composer (died 1735)
- 21 February - John Thurloe, Puritan spy (born 1616)
- 16 March - Francis Talbot, 11th Earl of Shrewsbury (born 1623)
- 7 April - Sir William Davenant, poet (born 1606)
- 19 September - Sir William Waller, English Civil War general (born c. 1635)
- 17 November - Joseph Alleine, English non-conformist preacher (born 1634)
- probable date - Daniel Blagrave, Member of Parliament (born 1603)
- Palmer, Alan; Palmer, Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 190–191. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.
- "January 17th". Chambers' Book of Days. Archived from the original on 17 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- Penguin Pocket On This Day. Penguin Reference Library. 2006. ISBN 0-14-102715-0.
- Eisel, John C. (September 2014). "Stedman, Fabian (bap. 1640, d. 1713)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/68907. Retrieved 2015-04-23. (subscription or UK public library membership required)