1689 in literature
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article presents lists of the literary events and publications in 1689.
- May 26 – Matsuo Bashō begins the journey described in Oku no Hosomichi (Narrow road to the interior).
- Thomas Shadwell becomes Poet Laureate and Historiographer Royal in England.
- Jonathan Swift becomes secretary to Sir William Temple.
- Richard Cox – Hibernia Anglicana
- George Hickes – Institutiones Grammaticae Anglo-Saxonicae et Moeso-Gothicae
- John Locke
- John Selden (posthumously) – Table Talk
- Johann Weikhard von Valvasor – The Glory of the Duchy of Carniola (Die Ehre deß Hertzogthums Crain)
- Aphra Behn – The Widow Ranter
- James Carlisle – The Fortune Hunters, or Two Fools Well Met
- John Crowne – The English Friar, or the Town Sparks
- James Farewell – The Irish Hudibras
- Sor Juana – Amor es más labertino (Love the Greater Labyrinth)
- Nathaniel Lee – The Massacre of Paris
- Thomas Shadwell - Bury Fair
- January 18 – Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu, French satirist (died 1755)
- May 26 – Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, poet and letter-writer (died 1762)
- July 9 – Alexis Piron, French epigrammatist (died 1773)
- August 19 – Samuel Richardson, English novelist (died 1761)
- January – William Chamberlayne, English poet and playwright (born c. 1619)
- February 21 – Isaac Vossius, Dutch-born collector of manuscripts (born 1618)
- April 16 – Aphra Behn, English dramatist, poet and novelist (born 1640)
- August 21 – William Cleland, Scottish soldier and poet (killed in battle, born c. 1661)
- November 13 – Philipp von Zesen, German poet and hymn-writer (born 1619)
- December 13 – Zbigniew Morsztyn, Polish poet (born c. 1628)
- Unknown date – Pjetër Bogdani, Albanian-language author (born c. 1630)
- The Hutchinson Factfinder. Helicon. 1999. ISBN 1-85986-000-1.
- Stephen, Leslie (1898). "Swift, Jonathan". In Lee, Sidney. Dictionary of National Biography. 55. London: Smith, Elder & Co. p. 204.
- Paul Bunyan Anderson, "Mistress Delariviere Manley's Biography", Modern Philology, vol 33 no 3, Feb 1936. Accessed 26 April 2013