1697 in science
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- January – Bernard le Bovier de Fontenelle becomes perpetual secretary of the French Academy of Sciences, in succession to Jean-Baptiste du Hamel.
- First known publication of English physician Richard Boulton, A Treatise of the Reason of Muscular Motion.
- William Dampier publishes A New Voyage Round the World in London.
- February 24 – Bernhard Siegfried Weiss, later known as Albinus, German-born Dutch anatomist (died 1770)
- February 5 – William Smellie, Scottish obstetrician (died 1763)
- September 23 – Andrew Plummer, Scottish physician and chemist (died 1756)