1698 in music
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2015)|
The year 1698 in music involved some significant events.
- Henry Purcell's widow publishes the first volume of Orpheus Britannicus.
- Antonio Stradivari makes the "Cabriac" violin.
Published popular music
- Johann Krieger - Anmuthige Clavier-Übung, a collection of 25 pieces for organ, including ricercars, fugues, preludes, etc.
- Giuseppe Torelli – Concerti musicali a quattro op.6
- Richard Leveridge – The Island Princess
- Luigi Manza – Tito Manlio; Partenope
- January 13 – Metastasio, poet and lyricist (died 1782)
- September 8 - François Francoeur, violinist and composer (died 1787)
- date unknown
- probable – Giovanni Battista Sammartini, composer (died 1775)