16th Group Army
|16th Group Army|
|Active||1949 - present|
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Allegiance||Communist Party of China|
In 2006 the formation consisted of the:
- Headquarters, Changchun, Jilin
- 46th Motorised Infantry Division, Changchun, Jilin
- 48th Motorised Infantry Brigade, Tonghua, Jilin
- 4th Armoured Division, Meihekou, Jilin
- Artillery Brigade, Yanbian, Jilin
- AA Brigade, Changchun, Jilin
(Source Blasko 2006, 76)
The origins of this army go back to Nanchang Uprising. After People's Republic of China was established, it belonged to the 62nd Group Army for a while.
On February 19, 1949, column 1 of the Shanxi-Hebei-Shandong-Henan Military Region in Henan Shenqiu area became the 16th Army of the People's Liberation Army, was placed under the 5th Corps of the PLA Second Field Army. Yin Xianbing (尹先炳) was appointed army commander.