1714 in poetry
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- March – The Scriblerus Club, an informal group of literary friends, is formed by Jonathan Swift, Alexander Pope, John Gay, John Arbuthnot (at whose London house they meet), Thomas Parnell, Henry St. John and Robert Harley.
- End – Venetian sea-captain Julije Balović begins compilation of the Perast Chronicle, a collection of epic poetry.
- John Danforth (poet), "A Poem, Upon the Much Honoured [...] Mrs. Maria Mather", English, Colonial America
- William Diaper, An Imitation of the Seventeenth Epistle of the First Book of Horace
- Laurence Eusden, A Letter to Mr. Addison, on the King's Accession to the Throne
- Abel Evans, Prae-existence: A poem, in imitation of Milton
- John Gay:
- The Shepherd's Week (pastoral)
- The Fan
- Samuel Jones, Poetical Miscellanies on Several Occasions
- Alexander Pope, The Rape of the Lock: An heroi-comical poem, first edition in an enlarged, five-canto form (see also Miscellaneoous Poems and Translations 1712
- Nicholas Rowe, Poems on Several Occasions
- Richard Steele:
- Jonathan Swift, The First Ode of the Second Book of Horace Paraphras'd, published this year, although the book states "1713"
- John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester, The Works of John Earl of Rochester. Containing Poems, On Several Occasions: His Lordship's Letters To Mr. Savil and Mrs. * * with Valentinian, a Tragedy. Never before Publish'd together, London: Printed for Jacob Tonson, posthumous
- Antoine Houdart de La Motte, an "improved" version of Homer's Iliad, with a preface critical of the poet; France
Death years link to the corresponding "[year] in poetry" article:
- January 1 – Kristijonas Donelaitis (died 1780), Lithuanian poet
- November 13 – William Shenstone (died 1763, English poet)
- Date not known:
Birth years link to the corresponding "[year] in poetry" article:
- June 25 (buried) – Walter Pope (born 1627), English astronomer and poet
- November 29 – Jerolim Kavanjin (born 1641), Croatian poet
- Nozawa Bonchō 野沢 凡兆 (born c. 1640), Japanese haikai poet
- Benjamin Tompson (born 1642), English Colonial American poet
- List of years in poetry
- List of years in literature
- 18th century in poetry
- 18th century in literature
- Augustan poetry
- Scriblerus Club
- Rumbold, Valerie (2009). "Scriblerus Club (act. 1714)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2011-02-04.(subscription or UK public library membership required)
- Ludwig, Richard M.; Nault, Clifford A. Jr (1986). Annals of American Literature: 1602–1983. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Cox, Michael, ed. (2004). The Concise Oxford Chronology of English Literature. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-860634-6.
- Grun, Bernard (1991). The Timetables of History (3rd ed.). p. 326.
- "John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester (1647-1680)". Poetry Foundation. Archived from the original on 2009-05-02. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- France, Peter (1995). The New Oxford Companion to Literature in French. New York: Oxford University Press. p. 437. ISBN 0-19-866125-8.
- Burt, Daniel S. (2004). The Chronology of American Literature: America's literary achievements from the Colonial era to modern times. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. ISBN 978-0-618-16821-7.
-  "A Timeline of English Poetry" Web page of the Representative Poetry Online Web site, University of Toronto