1717 in music
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The year 1717 in music involved some significant events.
- March 26 – Johann Sebastian Bach premieres his Weimarer Passion at the chapel of Friedrichstein Castle in Gotha
- July 13 – Domenico Zipoli arrives in Buenos Aires with 52 other Jesuit missionaries.
- July 17 – George Frideric Handel's Water Music is performed on the River Thames.
- August – Handel becomes house composer at Cannons.
- December 26 – Teatro Regio Ducal in Milan opens as an opera house.
- Johann Sebastian Bach is appointed Kapellmeister by Leopold, Prince of Anhalt-Köthen.
- Celebrated castrato Gaetano Berenstadt visits London and plays the lead in a revival of Handel's Rinaldo.
- François Couperin – Pièces de clavecin, book 2
- Georg Friedrich Handel – Water Music
- John Weaver – The Loves of Mars and Venus (ballet)
- Antonio Maria Bononcini – La conquista del vello d'oro
- Antonio Vivaldi – Penelope la Casta and L'Incoronazione di Dario
- January 4 - Antonio Maria Mazzoni, composer (died 1785)
- April 9 – Georg Matthias Monn, composer (died 1750)
- June 18 – Johann Stamitz, violinist and composer (died 1757)
- June 27 – Giacomo Durazzo, operatic impresario (died 1794)
- date unknown
- probable – Marimutthu Pillai, composer of Carnatic music (died c.1787)
- February 11 – Johann Jakob Walther, violinist and composer (born 1650)
- April 3 – Christian Friedrich Witt, composer, music editor and teacher (born c.1660)
- October 13 - Wolfgang Printz, composer and cantor (born 1641)
- November 26 – Daniel Purcell, composer (born 1664)
- date unknown
- probable – Francisco Guerau, composer (born 1649)
- Il saggiatore musicale: Volume 4 1997 "Analoghe considerazioni valgono per «il direttore d'orchestra Manzoni», che era Antonio Maria Mazzoni (1717-1785), compositore bolognese e accademico filarmonico citato da Burney e da Leopold Mozart, nonché da tutte le enciclopedie ..."
- Mozart Briefe und Aufzeichnungen: Gesamtausgabe Wilhelm A. Bauer, Leopold Mozart - 1971 -"„Maestro Mazzoni": Antonio Maria Mazzoni (1717 bis 1785), Schüler Predieris ( vgl. zu Z. 8), seit 1759 Domkapellmeister, seit 1736 Mitglied der Accademia Filarmonica, deren „Principe" er fünfmal war."