1731 in Great Britain
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1731 in Great Britain:|
|1729 | 1730 | 1731 | 1732 | 1733|
|1731 English cricket season|
Events from the year 1731 in Great Britain.
- 16 March - Treaty of Vienna signed between the Holy Roman Empire, Great Britain, the Dutch Republic and Spain.
- April - Trader Robert Jenkins has his ear cut off by Spanish coast guards in Cuba, casus belli for the War of Jenkins' Ear in 1739.
- 4 June - Great fire destroys much of the centre of Blandford Forum, Dorset.
- 5 June - Tiverton fire of 1731, a great fire in Tiverton, Devon.
- 23 October - Fire at Ashburnham House in London damages the nationally owned Cotton library, housed there at this time.
- Legal proceedings in the courts to be conducted in the English language.
- William Hogarth produces his A Harlot's Progress series of paintings.
- 1 January - First edition of The Gentleman's Magazine published by Edward Cave.
- Jethro Tull's treatise The New Horse-Houghing Husbandry; or, an essay on the principles of tillage and vegetation.
- February - Charles Churchill, poet (died 1764)
- 8 May - Beilby Porteus, Bishop of London and abolitionist (died 1809)
- 10 October - Henry Cavendish, scientist (died 1810)
- 15 November - William Cowper, poet (died 1800)
- 12 December - Erasmus Darwin, scientist and grandfather of Charles Darwin (died 1802)
- date unknown - William Aiton, botanist (died 1793)
- 24 April - Daniel Defoe, writer (born 1660)
- 24 August - William Godolphin, Marquess of Blandford, nobleman (born 1700)
- 29 December - Brook Taylor, mathematician (born 1685)
- Cates, William L. R. (1863). The Pocket Date Book. Chapman and Hall.
- Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. p. 303. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.
- "Blandford, Dorset 1731". FireNet. 2009. Archived from the original on 16 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- Dickens, Charles (1869). All the Year Round. Charles Dickens. p. 258. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- Friar, Stephen (2001). The Sutton Companion to Local History (rev. ed.). Stroud: Sutton Publishing. p. 241. ISBN 0-7509-2723-2.
- Munsell, Joel (1858). The Every Day Book of History and Chronology. D. Appleton & Co.