1780s in archaeology
(Redirected from 1786 in archaeology)
|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
The decade of the 1780s in archaeology involved some significant events.
- 1786: Antonio Bernasconi and Colonel Antonio del Rio examine the ruins of Palenque, making the first map of the site and some crude excavations.
- Formal excavations continue at Pompeii.
- 1780: Tomb of the Scipios rediscovered in Rome.
- 1782: Tomb of Catherine Parr (d. 1548) rediscovered in Sudeley Castle, England.
- 1786: Gold thumb ring of Senicianus discovered near Calleva Atrebatum (Silchester) in England.
- 1789: The Stony Stratford Hoard uncovered in England.
- Xagħra Stone Circle first discovered in Malta.
- 1785: Engineer Diego Ruiz visits and publishes the first account of El Tajín.
- 1789: Saggio di lingua Etrusca by Luigi Lanzi.
- 1780: The Society of Antiquaries of Scotland is formed.
- 1783: The Society of Antiquaries of Scotland is incorporated.
- 1784: July 25 - Richard William Howard Vyse, English soldier, anthropologist and Egyptologist (d. 1853).
- 1785: November 24 - Philipp August Böckh, German classical scholar and antiquarian (d. 1867).
- 1786: December 11 - William John Bankes, English Member of Parliament, explorer and Egyptologist (d. 1855).
- 1787: March 28 - Claudius James Rich, English traveller and scholar (d. 1820).
- 1788: September 10 - Jacques Boucher de Crèvecœur de Perthes, French archaeologist (d. 1868)
- 1788: December 29 - Christian Jürgensen Thomsen, Danish archaeologist (d. 1865).
- Lanciani, Rodolfo Amedeo (1897). The Ruins and Excavations of Ancient Rome: a Companion Book for Students and Travelers. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin. pp. 321–7.
- "BANKES, William John (1786-1855), of Kingston Hall, Dorset". www.historyofparliamentonline.org. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "James 'Athenian' Stuart, 1713-1788". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
1770s in archaeology
1790s in archaeology