1787 in sports
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1787 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
- 18 January — the vacant Championship of England title is claimed by Tom Johnson following a win over William Warr at Oakingham. Johnson is now unbeaten in six known fights since 1783. He retains the title until 1791.
- Tom Johnson defends his English championship title twice in 1787, defeating William Fry at Kingston upon Thames in July and Michael Ryan at Wraysbury in December.
- 21 May — opening of Lord's Old Ground at Dorset Fields in Marylebone for the White Conduit Club (WCC) v Middlesex match
- Marylebone Cricket Club is established at Lord's, chiefly by WCC members
- Cyber Boxing Zone – Tom Johnson. Retrieved on 7 November 2009.
- Note that scorecards created in the 18th century are not necessarily accurate or complete; therefore any summary of runs, wickets or catches can only represent the known totals and the missing data prevents effective computation of averages
|This year in sport article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|