1798 in music
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- July 11 – United States Marine Band established by Act of Congress.
- September 2 – Opening of the Teatro Comunale (Ferrara) in Italy with a performance of Portogallo’s Gli Orazi e i Curiazi.
- Opening of the Teatro della Concordia in Iesi, Ancona, "one of the few opera houses in Italy from the late 1700s that has never been destroyed by fire or bombs".
- Completion of the first São João National Theatre in Porto, Portugal as an opera house.
- Michael Haydn takes on Carl Maria von Weber as a pupil without charge.
- First edition of Niemetschek's biography of Mozart published.
Published popular music
- Edward Jones (Bardd y Brenin) – Popular Cheshire Melodies
- January 31 – Carl Gottlieb Reissiger, kapellmeister and composer (d. 1859)
- March 9 – Mathilda Berwald, Hovsångare (d. 1877)
- October 28 – Henri Bertini, pianist and composer (d. 1876)
- date unknown
- January 4 – Giuseppe Giordani, opera composer (b. 1751)
- January 20 – Christian Cannabich, composer (b. 1731)
- January 28 – Christian Gottlob Neefe, composer and conductor (b. 1748)
- July 15 – Gaetano Pugnani, violinist (b. 1731)
- November 30 – Friedrich Fleischmann, composer (b. 1766)
- December 16 – Gaetano Brunetti, composer (b. 1744)