17 Avenue SW (Calgary)
|Maintained by||City of Calgary|
|Length||12.5 km (7.8 mi)|
|East end||Macleod Trail|
|West end||Township Road 242|
Between the Calgary Stampede Grounds and 14 Street SW, it is a commercial street, with bars, restaurants, nightclubs, and shops, which has been designated a Business Revitalization Zone. Officially named 17th ave Retail and Entertainment District, more information can be found here www.17thave.ca
From 14th Street to Sarcee Trail, it is flanked by a mix of residential and commercial space, with small strip malls, a retirement home, and denser commercial developments in the Westbrook Mall area. West of Sarcee Trail it runs through suburban neighbourhoods and acreages, by Rundle College and Westside Recreation Centre.
17th Avenue was nicknamed the "Red Mile" in 2004 during the playoff run of Calgary's NHL team, the Calgary Flames. During this time, it was not uncommon to see over 100,000 fans crowding the street and its bars and pubs on game nights.. The block has become the unofficial gathering place for Calgary Flames fans, with many celebrating in the street during their last playoff run in 2015. The street also "dead-ends" at the Stampede Grounds on its east side and is thus central to the party-like atmosphere that overtakes the city during the Calgary Stampede festival.
- 0 km - starts at Macleod Trail (northbound) -
- 2.5 km - quadrant intersection with 14 Street SW -
- 3.8 km - interchange with Crowchild Trail, via Richmond Road and 24th Street SW-
- 5.8 km - quadrant intersection with 37 Street SW -
- 7.5 km - diamond intersection with Sarcee Trail -
- 9.2 km - diamond intersection with 69 Street SW -
- 10.9 km - quadrant intersection with 85 Street SW -
- 12.5 km - Calgary city limits at 101 Street SW, continues as Township Road 242 -
- "The Manor Village At Signature Park". Comfort Life. Our Kids Media. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- Markusoff, Jason (25 April 2015). "How 17 Avenue Has Changed But Red Mile Parties On". Calgary Herald. Post Media. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
3. Directory Website: www.17ave.ca