1805 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events in the year 1805 in Art.
- June – The British Institution is established in London.
- The British Museum purchases Charles Townley's collection of Roman sculpture.
- William Blake begins work on the illustrations for Blair's The Grave.
- William Blake – The Four and Twenty Elders Casting their Crowns before the Divine Throne (pencil and watercolour)
- Vincenzo Camuccini – The Death of Caesar
- John Sell Cotman – Greta Bridge
- Jacques-Louis David – Portrait of Pope Pius VII
- François Gérard
- James Gillray – The Plumb-pudding in danger, or, State epicures taking un petit souper
- Francisco Goya (approximate dates)
- Thomas Douglas Guest – Bearing the Dead Body of Patroclus to the Camp, Achilles's Grief
- Orest Kiprensky – Prince Dmitri Donskoi after the Battle of Kulikovo
- Joseph Denis Odevaere – Portrait of François Wynckelman, François van der Donckt and Joseph Odevaere (Groeningemuseum)
- Grand Prix de Rome, painting:
- Grand Prix de Rome, sculpture:
- Grand Prix de Rome, architecture:
- Grand Prix de Rome, music: Ferdinand Gasse & Victor Dourlen.
- January 4 – Carlo Marochetti, sculptor (died 1867)
- January 27 – Samuel Palmer, landscape painter and etcher (died 1881)
- April 5 – Samuel Forde, painter (died 1828)
- April 20 – Franz Xaver Winterhalter, painter (died 1873)
- May 11 – Philipp Foltz, painter (died 1877)
- July 14 – John Frederick Lewis, painter (died 1876)
- July 26 – Constantino Brumidi, fresco painter (died 1880)
- September 6 – Horatio Greenough, sculptor (died 1852)
- September 10 – Guillaume Geefs, sculptor (died 1883)
- October 23 – Adalbert Stifter, Austrian writer, poet, painter, and pedagogue (died 1868)
- February 2 – Thomas Banks, sculptor (born 1735)
- March 4 – Jean-Baptiste Greuze, painter (born 1725)
- April 28 – Charles-Antoine Bridan, French sculptor (born 1730)
- May 2 – Vieira Portuense, painter (born 1765)
- May 24 – Fedot Shubin, Russia sculptor (born 1740)
- June 7 – James Gabriel Huquier, portrait painter and engraver (born 1725)
- June 19 – Louis-Jean-François Lagrenée, painter (born 1724)
- July 10 – Thomas Wedgwood, pioneer photographer (born 1771)
- December 6 – Nicolas-Jacques Conté, painter and inventor of the pencil (born 1755)
- December 27 – Jean-Baptiste Claudot, French painter of landscapes, flowers, and still-life (born 1733)
- date unknown
- Pyotr Drozhdin, Russian painter (born 1745)
- Gustaf Lucander, Finnish painter (born 1724)
- Francesco Pozzi, Italian engraver (born 1750)
- Marie-Thérèse Reboul, French painter of natural history, still lifes, and flowers (born 1728)
- Deng Shiru, Chinese calligrapher during the Qing Dynasty (born 1739/1743)
- Martin Rowson, speaking on The Secret of Drawing, presented by Andrew Graham Dixon, BBC Television.
- "Baron (Pietro) Carlo Giovanni Battista Marochetti". gla.ac.uk.
- Henry T Tuckerman, A memorial of Horatio Greenough, New York: G. P, Putnam & Co., 1853.
- This article incorporates text from the article "CLAUDOT, Jean Baptiste Charles" in Bryan's Dictionary of Painters and Engravers by Michael Bryan, edited by Robert Edmund Graves and Sir Walter Armstrong, an 1886–1889 publication now in the public domain.