1809 in Australia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- 25 April - First post office in Sydney established. Ex-convict Isaac Nichols is the first postmaster.
- 8 May - Lachlan Macquarie is officially appointed Governor of New South Wales, caretaker William Patterson governs until his appointment begins on 1 January 1810.
- 24 May - Lachlan Macquarie receives his commission as next governor of New South Wales, including instructions to reinstate Bligh temporarily on his arrival.
Exploration and settlement
- Settlement began at O'Brien's bridge near the centre of present-day Glenorchy, Tasmania.
- 5 April - Arthur Edward Kennedy, Governor of Western Australia 1855-62 and Governor of Queensland 1877-1883
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|