1819 English cricket season
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Cricket formats||first-class and single wicket|
In the 1819 English cricket season, the Gentlemen v Players match, previously played in 1806 only, was resurrected.
- 7 September — death of Lumpy Stevens, arguably the greatest bowler of the 18th century
- According to James Pycroft in The Cricket Field, the size of the wickets was increased in 1817 to 27 inches (690 mm) by 8 inches (200 mm), but it seems more likely that the rule was introduced in 1819.
- With cricket still recovering from the effects of the Napoleonic War, a total of only 6 first-class matches were recorded in 1819:
- 24 May — Cambridge Town Club v Cambridge University @ Parker's Piece, Cambridge
- 7–9 June — All-England XII v Hampshire XII @ Lord's Cricket Ground
- 21 June — Cambridge Town Club v Cambridge University @ Parker's Piece, Cambridge
- 29–30 June — All-England v Hampshire @ Lord's Cricket Ground
- 7–9 July — Gentlemen v Players @ Lord's Cricket Ground
- 25–26 August — Epsom v Hampshire @ Epsom Downs
1819 debutants included:
- John Willan (Hampshire)
- Henry Lowther (Hampshire)
- George Brown (Sussex)
- Charles Greville (Gentlemen/MCC)
- Richard Berens (Hampshire)
- Note that scorecards created in the first quarter of the 19th century are not necessarily accurate or complete; therefore any summary of runs, wickets or catches can only represent the known totals and computation of averages is ineffectual.
- Haygarth, p.420.
- This match is an exception to the normal rule of eleven-a-side in first-class cricket.
- Haygarth, p.423.
- Haygarth, p.425.
- Haygarth, p.427.
- Haygarth, Arthur (1862). Scores & Biographies, Volume 1 (1744–1826). Lillywhite.
- ACS (1981). A Guide to Important Cricket Matches Played in the British Isles 1709 – 1863. Nottingham: ACS.
- Altham, H. S. (1962). A History of Cricket, Volume 1 (to 1914). George Allen & Unwin.
- Birley, Derek (1999). A Social History of English Cricket. Aurum.
- Bowen, Rowland (1970). Cricket: A History of its Growth and Development. Eyre & Spottiswoode.
- Major, John (2007). More Than A Game. HarperCollins.
- Classification of cricket matches from 1697 to 1825
- CricketArchive – 1819 first-class matches list
- CricketArchive – 1819 other matches list
|This article about an English cricket season is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|