1826 in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||1826 in the United Kingdom
Other events of 1826
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1826 in Ireland.
- 5 January - Irish currency assimilated to that of Great Britain under terms of the Currency Act 1825.
- 12 July - In the United Kingdom General Election, four counties elect supporters of Catholic Emancipation.
- The Landlord and Tenant (Ireland) Act is passed.
- First life-boat stationed in Ireland by the National Institution for the Preservation of Life from Shipwreck, at Arklow.
Arts and literature
- October - Tyrone Power gets his break as a principal Irish character actor at the Theatre Royal, Covent Garden in London.
- 5 July - William Ford, businessman in America, father of Henry Ford (died 1905).
- 13 August - Robert Spencer Dyer Lyons, physician and politician (died 1886).
- 4 October - Richard Smyth, Presbyterian minister, academic and politician (died 1878).
- 2 November - Henry John Stephen Smith, mathematician (died 1883).
- 14 November - Michael Morris, 1st Baron Killanin, jurist, politician, Lord Chief Justice of Ireland (died 1901).
Full date unknown
- Robert Cain, brewer and businessman (died 1907).
- Morgan Crofton, mathematician (died 1915).
- Denis Dempsey, soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross (died 1896).
- Samuel Hill, soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1857 at Lucknow, India, later killed in action (died 1863).
- Patrick McHale, soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1857 at Lucknow, India (died 1866).
- Alexander Wright, soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1855 at Sebastopol, in the Crimea (died 1858).
- 27 June - Mary Leadbeater, writer (born 1758).
- 9 October - Michael Kelly, actor, singer and composer (born 1762).
Full date unknown
- Judge Fulton, judge, surveyor, politician, and founder of the village of Bass River, Nova Scotia (born 1739).
- Moody, T. W.; et al., eds. (1989). A New History of Ireland. 8: A Chronology of Irish History. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-821744-2.
- Moody, T. W.; Martin, F. X., eds. (1967). The Course of Irish History. Cork: Mercier Press. p. 252.
- Lyall, Andrew (2000). Land Law in Ireland (2nd ed.). Dublin: Roundhall Sweet & Maxwell. ISBN 1-85800-199-4.
- Dwane, Mairéad (Autumn 2010). "Gael Force". The Lifeboat. RNLI (593): 6.
- MacDonagh, Michael (2004). "Power, (William Grattan) Tyrone (1797–1841)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/22671. Retrieved 2012-11-12. (subscription or UK public library membership required)